Unsure what's defective with my controllers and batteries

I currently have a Xbox 360 Elite and 4 wireless controllers and 3 rechargable batteries. I've had them for several years now but never really use them often much. However when I do, I'm having issues with them keeping charged. What will basically happen is I will turn on one of my controllers with one of the rechargable batteries installed, but instantly it will start showing red indicating the battery is low. So I'll plug it in with the play and charge cable, and suddenly it'll say the battery is already fully charged. However if I unplug it, it will only remain on for about a minute before it just completely shuts off on me. I plug it back in, and it'll show on my 360 that it's a low battery, but it'll then show it's fully charged after a few seconds.

I've found that this seems to happen among every controller I have and every battery I have. However what's odd is I seem to have one battery and one controller that will work totally fine together. But I try using the other batteries with the controller, or use that one working battery in another controller, it runs into the same problem. Does anyone know if this is either a problem with my controllers, batteries or even both? I wouldn't want to go out and buy a new controller, only to find out it's the battery and vice versa.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

One of the recent mass updates somehow affected the play and charge kits.

Keep in mind, I tell you this from personal experience and investigation, NOT from any official word from MS.

My batteries don't work via PaC kit anymore, unless I leave the console on all night with the battery charging without use, and without any idling in the system.

I fixed the issue by getting a charge station, and leaving my batteries on it until the one in use needs swapping out.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

hey man try this its not official and dosent always work..

It will only start charging when you’ve left the battery pack with a “red light” charge signal. This means when you first plug in the controller, and the light on the cable connection goes red, the signal is saying that it needs to be charged. The problem comes when it thinks it is charged and switches off or to a green colour.

To get the red signal:

1) Plug the charging cable into the xbox, and switch the xbox on without the controller attached to the cable.

2) Plug the controller into the cable, once the dashboard has booted and you’ve signed in.

3) Wait until the cable connection light goes red, and then switch off the controller (hold down the 360 button and select “Turn Off Controller” from the menu).

4) Restart the xbox (or if you live close by to someone else with a 360, turn that console on with a cable plugged in, wait for it to boot to the dashboard, and then attach your controller – the light should stay red).

5) Plug in the controller once the dashboard has booted again.

This might be fiddly and not work every time. It’s a case of trial and error most of the time. I will keep playing about with the procedure, but for the time being this seems to work for me.

Or Try This..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKM2tABhNk8

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Allen,

Please keep in mind that any rechargeable battery degrades over time and plug and play kits have been known to lose their effectiveness after so many charges.  It sounds like to me that your equipment could be reaching it's end and may need replacing.  I've stop using rechargeable accessories and just buy Duracell's in bulk at Costco when they are on sale (40 or 44 AA for around $10.00).  That usually lasts me a few months.  I know it's not a great solution, but it works for me.

Sorry this didn't help.

@Jameser, I forgot to mention I do have a charge station and have tried to use it to charge the batteries, but when I put them into the charger they state the battery is already fully charged.

@Khhirna, that's understandable that the batteries charge life would degrade over time. However, this just seems pretty quick. I did try putting in some regular AA batteries that I had laying around and the controller seemed to work fine. So I'm assuming this is definitely just a problem with the batteries itself. What just weirds me out though is why it seems to have no problem staying on with one of the controllers I have but will not stay on with another one.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had same problem a year ago battery working in one controller but not the other,so i bit the bullet a bought some Duracell AA rechargeable lithium battery's with a charger,cost me $20 at Kmart,seems to of fixed my problem and I'm only charging the battery's once a month.  

Sorry this didn't help.

THats how rechargable batteries work. It degrades every time and has a lifetime of lets say for example, 50 charges. If you have charged it 50 times its fuel tank will get smaller and smaller that in the end it only can take up a small charge.

Sorry this didn't help.

With the charge station, I just ignore the lights and just grab a battery when I need one. Haven't had any issue with a battery not lasting a long time this way.

Sorry this didn't help.