Unrecognized discs.

Hi,

I recently updated my Gears of Wars Xbox 360 this past weekend with the latest firmware/dashboard update via Xbox Live.  Initially, all my games worked fine without any issues but after the update, two of my games are claiming to be "Unrecognized discs."  The two games mentioned are:  Halo 4 (disc 1) and Halo CE Anniversary Edition.  Both games worked flawlessly before the latest firmware/dashboard update.  Any resolution would help.  Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 26 Applies to:

If you haven't tried this support.xbox.com/.../disc-drive-solution

If your Xbox is playing other games fine just having trouble with a few check in the storage and make sure none of the games have corruptions.

You can also try clearing your system cache I've heard of this fixing the issue too. Good luck!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Try clearing the system cache and try again. This will usually do the trick.

Sorry this didn't help.

Clearing the System Cache did nothing, but I did manage to isolate the problem.  It turns out the discs are the problem.  I went over to a friend's house and tried my copy of both games on his Xbox 360 and both failed to be recognized.  I proceeded testing his copy of Halo 4 on my Xbox 360 and it worked fine.  I don't know why or how this happened suddenly especially since it was working fine before the update but I'm going to assume that these were made with cheap dye/media.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have games giving me the problem too (+2 DVDs). Although the DVDs aren't doing unrecognised disc, they do give reading issues though. Don't know if it's the games or not as the console recognises what game it is, loads the little picture and does the game details bit as well, but as soon as you want to play it is says unrecognised. It also stops spinning mid game (and sounds like it's trying to spin up again, it could be that the games are installed). Other times though, perfectly fine

Sorry this didn't help.

You could also have problems with the disc laser. If the laser is weakening, it will have trouble reading discs. I was having that problem for awhile also. As soon as I fixed the laser strength, it read all my discs and haven't had problems since.

Sorry this didn't help.

If its a problem with the discs then there's a possibility that they are badly scratched or just have a deep scratch. There are many home remedies that you can perform if this is the case.

Sorry this didn't help.