Unreadable new game

Hi ppl, 2 new games i got recently dont work on my old white xbox. The first one was driver, it would load sometimes but i would get unreadable disc error most times. The second i got yesterday was Space Marine, this would'nt even load at all. I did'nt even have the option to install and on the dashboard it says "play game" and wont give game details when i press Y. I've heard that some of the old consoles are having problems with the new disc format, that has been recently released. I'm currently waiting for a reply from customer support...... P.s. All my other games work fine, even scratched ones.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

If you are unlucky enough to have an old xbox that won't read the new disc format, then it's tuff luck. I've just got off the phone to customer support. They say that i need to send it off for a repair costing £100, for a new disc drive.. This is unbelivable. Through no fault of my own, my xbox has become useless. I can guarantee i won't be paying Microsoft one more pence of my money, cos i would rather get a PS3 than pay for the repair....... Just another way that MS shaft u.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

There are no consoles that won't read the new disc format. It works across all models of DVD drive available.

There was a previous update that caused problems for some consoles. There is a replacement plan in effect for those.

Your DVD drive is probably just failing. It happens.

Sorry this didn't help.

there are some drives that will not read these new xgd3 discs. I recall when the dahboard update came out, some people with older 360's were required to send in their 360's to MS and MS was going to send them newer models

Sorry this didn't help.

"There was a previous update that caused problems for some consoles. There is a replacement plan in effect for those."

Ye their replacement plan is for everyone to buy a new slim xbox. When i rang up the guy even suggested this was the best idea. Sounded more like customer sales than support. I hope this is a widespread thing cos they can't get away with this surely.... LoL   who'm i kiddin.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Lockjaw666"]there are some drives that will not read these new xgd3 discs[/quote]No, there aren't. The replacement plan is for a previous update.[quote user="PR1MEVIL"]Ye their replacement plan is for everyone to buy a new slim xbox. When i rang up the guy even suggested this was the best idea.[/quote]A DVD drive operated at 12x for an extended period of time will wear out.[quote]I hope this is a widespread thing[/quote]It's not.

Sorry this didn't help.

So why do ALL my other games load and run fine? With no disc read errors at all. I have been a loyal xbox owner for the last 8yrs, but this issue is making me seriously consider using my sons PS3 instead. Or even getting the xbox "seen to" by Mr J Tag. (he fixes xbox's, lives near me)

Sorry this didn't help.

The symptoms you're describing have happened to many forum posters. "But just this one game doesn't work!" There's no widespread drive failure/drive incompatibility other than the one pointed out by MS earlier this year. Try the usual solutions - clearing the system cache and removing storage devices.

I have in my possession a wide range of consoles - a launch unit, a Halo 3 unit, RE5, MW2, two FFXIII, Splinter Cell Conviction, and Reach. The only generation that isn't working is a Falcon Elite (non-working DVD-ROM drive). The next game I have on order is Gears of War 3, which presumably is using the new copy protection scheme. I can try it on all my consoles (including a new GoW3 console). I have no expectation that it will fail.

Sorry this didn't help.

Maybe i could have one of your xbox's then. . . then again maybe not. lol

This is all begining to sound quite familiar, "No widespread failure"      3 red lights anyone.......................

Sorry this didn't help.

It would sound familiar if you read the forums with any frequency. Next to RRoD, DVD read issues/drive failure are empricially the biggest weakness with the console.

The MS extended warranty covers the whole console, including the DVD drive. It's $29.95/yr or $49.95/2 yrs (or thereabouts), and can be renewed as long as it doesn't expire. May or may not be worth getting should you buy a new console in the future. Most of my consoles have extended warranties. Of course, one of the ones that doesn't (Falcon Elite) is the one that suffered a DVD drive failure...

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes i'm well aware of the DVD drive faliure problem. I've had 3 go in the past 5 yrs. In my experience a dvd drive faliure means it will not play any games. My problem is that it won't read the new disk format. And if thats not an incompatabilty issue, and therefore Microsofts problem. I don't know what is..... Time will tell maybe.

Sorry this didn't help.