Unreadable disk error while playing from the hdd?

I'd been playing Dragons Dogma for well over 20 hours when I suddenly started getting "Disk is dirty or unreadable" error mesages pop up, forcing me back to the dashboard.

This is strange as Im getting these messages at random even though its running from the harddrive..

The game disk is brand new, not a scatch and the disk drive has ever given me problems before.

I always install my games and noticed something strange when I first popped the disk in, first off there was a long delay in reading the disk and the game showing up on the home game square. Then there was the install problem, it took at least 5 minutes from clicking install to the disk actually starting to spin and install.

There was an article on gamespot I found whilst searching this problem, something to do with the latest update messing up a very small number of xbox disc drives and the reading of certain games.

I hope something simple can fix this problem as I was really getting into Dragons Dogma 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 179 Applies to:

You may wish to try cleaning the disc with a soft cloth and then try re installing the game as it is possible that you may have installed a "dirty" disc. If that doesn't help you may wish to try the troubleshooter here: support.xbox.com/.../disc-drive-solution

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

could be your laser/disk reader starting to go,you'll have to keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse,you may need a repair

Sorry this didn't help.

Another game is now giving me problems, Sonic Generations. Brand new, installed and playing from the HDD. Randomly recieve "Disc is dirty/damaged and is unreadable" This and Dragons Dogma are the only games Ive encountered this with. Ive done the disk troubleshooting guide, but its not the disc drive seeing as, 1. The games had no problem being recognised by the xbox and installed fine. 2. The errors happen whilst playing from the HDD. I never play games from the disk, the only time the xbox spins anything in the drive is when im installing something. I woulld understand if I got these errors when playing directly from the disc, but its getting them from playing from the HDD, at completly random times too.  I am starting to think it may be either a HDD failure or firmware error.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Daz!  OK, I've got something for you to try here- particularly for Sonic Generations. First off, head into the system memory and delete the game (but make a note of how big it is), then head on into the Marketplace and find some demo or basically the same size and download that.  Then restart your console and reinstall Sonic.  That should get that one behaving for you.  As for Dragon's Dogma, let's try deleting the installation and playing it just off the disc.  How does that go?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmmm, odd solution... but Sonic Generations is 7.2gb. I cant see anything that big on the marketplace to download, unless I buy a reasent Game on Demand title. I was recomended to try another HDD by Xboxsupport on Twitter, but to no avail. Still get disc read errors when running from the HDD. Dragons Dogma was also 7.something. I have researched these 2 games and apparently theres been countless reports of disc read errors with them, even the downloadable version of Sonic gives disc read errors. I havent tried running the games directly from the disc as I know for a fact that my disc drive is not the fault here, besides I allways install games, not only to save wearing out my disc drive but to save on electricity. Installs -fine, reads discs first try, but these 2 games obviously have something wrong with them - programming wise.

Sorry this didn't help.

Uninstqll the game from your hard disk, then everything should be fine. You can reinstall it later :-) this worked on me

Sorry this didn't help.