unformatted hard drive

HELP PLEASE  I was on my xbox this morning and it was all fine, i downloaded a demo of Batman Arkham Asylum and the download stopped mid way, i didnt think anything of it as I was playing Saw2 demo and I thought it may have interrupted the download.  I was going to delete the Batman download and start again but the xbox stopped working.. it was really slow at picking up the handset commands so I switched it off at the wall, waited a few minutes and switched it on again.  It says that there are no profiles so I couldnt sign in - so I went to recover my gamertag to the xbox and it says that the hard drive is unformatted....  Theres nothing in the memory at all - none of my saved games are there, none of my husbands or daughters - we've all been wiped off the hard drive :(   It says I can reformat it but I dont dare in case its the wrong thing to do.  Has anyone ever had this problem and will reformatting the hard drive fix it?  Is there any way to get back our 3 profiles and memory of saved games and xbox live marketplace content and games saved to the hard drive?  

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

I'm afraid you've just lost everything on the hard drive. You will have to format it in order to use it again, and when you do, everything will be wiped from it.

You can recover any gamertags from Xbox LIVE, as long as they are online profiles. Any game saves you had will be lost unless you backed them up.

If you have downloaded any content before, you can download them again for free, via the Download History.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for that Sonic Scream, im gutted but I'll try formatting it now.  Thanks for the really quick reply :)

Sorry this didn't help.

No problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

how does one back up saved games? mine does that sometimes.... cant find hard drive.... but while it can still sometimes find it.... how do i save it?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Xbox.  This just happen to me. When it turned on my console. After it was working fine yesterday.   Please stop making crap.  I think paying 400 for a piece of *** sucks.

Sorry this didn't help.

@Voddiencoke - you can back up your saves either by adding them to the cloud (an option only available to gold members) or backing them up to a usb drive.  

Go to System Settings>Memory and choose your hard drive.  Choose the saves you want to back up and either move them or copy them to the cloud or your usb device.

Sorry this didn't help.

I basically have the same problem with the unformatted hard drive. I was hoping to be able to save my saved games, but I guess I can't. I'm sad that I lost all that work, but anyways thanks for giving me the answer I was looking for.

At least now I know for sure there's no way to fix it. Thanks for the help.

Sorry this didn't help.

I know this is a bit late now, but for the future, try and make copies of your important saved games on either a USB stick, or to the cloud storage space, or even both. Saved me a good few times.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey I have something to tell you people. I have a hard drive I bought used and it has gone to "Unformatted" about 5 times now. But this last time instead of formatting it I turned the Xbox off and took out the hard drive (I have an Xbox 360 Slim) and blew on the end like you would to make sure there's no dust in it. Then I put the HDD back in, turned on the Xbox, and it wasn't unformatted anymore! I didn't have to format it and it still has whatever I had on it.

This probably won't work every time and it could've been a one-time thing, but it some how fixed itself and still has my stuff on it.

P.S. I did back-up my game saves this time and the only thing I ever actually lose is some DLC which I can download again. I just thought I'd share this with you people so that it might be useful to someone.

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings, everyone. Just a friendly reminder to please double check the original post date of a thread before replying. This will prevent the inadvertent bumping of very old threads. Thank you!

Sorry this didn't help.