Unformatted Hard Drive error message

I was playing on my xbox ok last night, no problems, but I have turned it on today and first it locked up on start up and then froze on the main screen after restarting.  I started it again and it wanted to do an update, I accepted the update but then it said it wanted 190mb of memory.  I've checked my memory and it just says "unformatted".  There are no profiles showing on my xbox and it won't let me download my profile as it says there is no space.  I have tried restarting my xbox again and also removed the hard drive to clear it of any dust, but it still says unformatted.  I have also followed a previous posts instructions to reformat the hard drive but this hasn't worked either.

Can anyone please give me any further advice?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

If you have tried removing the console, clearing the cache and reformatting the hard drive and still get the "Unformatted" message then it's very likely that your hard drive has died.

However, just to be sure, if you have a friend who has a console the drive will fit into try it there and see if it works.

If it does not you'll just have to purchase a new hard drive.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You can try the suggestions found HERE.

We also need to determine if your hard drive is still working. You can try to install your hard drive to another console and see if it will still cause the same issue or if it will allow you to have it formatted. If not, your hard drive needs to be replaced. You can submit a Repair Request HERE.

If the hard drive needs to be sent out for repair, you can use a flash drive as a temporary storage device.

Here are additional information: USB flash drive support for Xbox 360

Sorry this didn't help.

This is my sons console and I've just tried the hard drive on my xbox, it has unformatted on it and I've tried to reformat with no joy, the clear cache option is not available. The link above for other suggestions comes up as "group not found". Can we take it his hard drive has failed and will need replacing?

Sorry this didn't help.

TigerVixen,

Here is the direct link:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_360_support/f/7/t/483264.aspx

If all else fails, your drive needs replacement.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried on a friends and it is clear my hard drive is dead. However some of my games e.g defiance saves every thing on their servers so not all is lost.

But thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

After trying the hard drive on another machine to no avail we came to the conclusion it was dead. We had a spare 60gb which my son (BERSERKER19187) has been using. However since the corrupt hard drive we have had numerous occasions of varying error messages on signing in and downloading updates, too many different codes to list but all basically meaning a corrupt profile. We have on every occasion cleared his cache, deleted his "profile only" to re download and anything else that has come up in the support section.  My question now is... why does this keep happening? And what can we do about it?

For the sake of my sanity (if nothing else!) We would very much appreciate any help to stop this from continuing, thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.