Unexplainable connection issues

Over the past few months I have had issues connecting, where the 'test connection' shows that connection to my computer and Internet are OK, but connection to Xbox live fails. I am currently running a network bridge to my laptop utilising its wireless capabilities, where i have had no issues in the past. I was aware that on two of the many occasions that my ISP and Xbox Live were having unannounced downtime for maintenance. I speculate that the other occasions where my service has been interrupted has also been due to this.I find it quite frustrating that my pre-paid service gets interrupted without notification or explanation.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

While I can sympathize with you regarding this issue, the Terms of Use clearly state:

14.  WE MAKE NO WARRANTY.

We provide the Service "as-is," "with all faults," and "as available."  We do not guarantee the accuracy or timeliness of information available from the Service.  You acknowledge that computer and telecommunications systems are not fault-free and occasional periods of downtime occur. We do not guarantee the Service will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error-free or that data loss will not occur. The Microsoft parties give no express warranties, guarantees, or conditions.   We exclude any implied warranties, including for merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, workmanlike effort, and non-infringement. You may have additional consumer rights under your local laws that this contract cannot change.  

www.xbox.com/.../LiveTOU

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the information, I fully expected MS to have a decent bunch of legal guys to cover themselves.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey mate, we'd like to help with your connection issue! Please just take a few minutes to answer the bold questions listed here, to better help us help you.

Sorry this didn't help.

What Country/State/Province do you live in? - UK

Modem brand & model number: - Sky / Firmwear version 2.8sky

Router brand & model number: - Same as above

Network Connection Type: Wireless/Wired - Wired (via a network bridge to a HP G60 running Window Vista 32-Bit Professional

If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using? - Wireless from HP G60: WEP encription

Things you have tried:

Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown - Yes

Is NAT Type Open? - Yes

Any Error Codes you encounter:

What type of internet do you have? Cable/DSL/T1/3G? - 20mb

Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? - Sky

When you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" what is the exact message shown on screen? - Test shows connection to my HP G60 and internet is OK, connection to Xbox live fails. Problem is intermittant, occurance every few weeks or so. All other wireless devices ran via my router/modem have not had any problems.

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, so when that connection fails to Xbox LIVE, are there any error messages that pop up? Is more info available? Please provide all text that you see there exactly. Also, how long ago did you establish the bridged connection?

Sorry this didn't help.

The message that comes up says 'Unable to connect to Xbox Live' and I have used a network bridge for over 18 months, also I have used it whilst getting my services from two different ISPs and had the similar problems.

The connection is mostly excellent, and as I said above, I hypothesize that the drop off in connection I experience is due to unannounced downtime either from XBL or my ISP (or both). When it happens I usually leave it and check again the next day to find that the issue has been resolved. I posted to get some clarification as it is quite frustraiting to experience these issues with little or no explanation. When the connection issues arise I also confirm that the laptop I am running my network bridge via is connected to the internet and working correctly, which it is.

Sorry this didn't help.

This issue sounds a little too frequent for the LIVE service to be the cause. Try this--next time you're disconnected, run a connection speed test on your PC, just to see where your upload, download, and ping are at. Please post the results here.

Sorry this didn't help.