Unauthorized access investigation well over 25 day estimate.

So this is a post to officially complain, as well as offer solidarity to those that are dealing with this problem right now.

My account was taken over September 9th.  I found out because I got a phone call from my bank alerting me to suspicious activity.  They charged 75 dollars (4000 point, 1600 point and 400 point)  and used my gamertag to purchase the games.  I wondered why they didn't just transfer off the points.  I was still able to recover my account, change all the information again, and lock the account back down.  I also managed to do a license swap so the thief couldn't use the games he bought.  

To my knowledge there wasn't a region swap (I'd assume I'd know if there was a change or not) and I called Xbox to alert them to the problem.   

They locked the account down to begin an investigation, and it's currently still ongoing.  About 2 weeks into the investigation apparently they needed another separate Email to contact me from, but I don't know if this reset my position in the Queue, or completely restarted the investigation process.

It's been 35 days since the beginning of the investigation, I'm still out money (I hope to finish the dispute with my bank tomorrow)  and there are still no answers.

I don't think this is associated with the recent EA Fifa ordeal seeing as how the person played Shadow Complex and Black Ops with my account, and just bought a bunch of regular games off XBLM  

I'm 31, I don't even have many friends on my list other than personal ones I see regularly, I certainly never outright shared my account info with anyone, but I can't be sure whether or not I never used the same Email/Pass combo for another site I visit regularly.  

Hopefully I hear something tomorrow.

I'm going to give it another week though, and if nothing comes about I'm going to escalate it with complaints to the Missouri Consumer Protection Dept at the Attorney General's office, along with a BBB complaint, and most likely the filing of a small claims court case.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 10 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I would call xbox again to see what the deal is. Give xbox a chance to fix the problem.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Call into XBL Support and have them validate you as they normally would.  Once validated, inquire about the contact history on your account -- how many times 'you' called in, attached SRs to your account/gamertag, etc.  If the number is disjoint from the number of calls you personally remember making (you should keep a record of SRs, dates, the name of individuals you spoke with, etc) -- then you've been social engineered.

A ploy used in jacking my account was almost a direct match to what was independently posted below.  Individuals opened several SRs over several months social engineering MS XBL employees into leaking personal data over time; "doxing" me to build a profile and then using that collective information to make their strikeS (plural).

gameolosophy.com/.../how-hackers-get-your-personal-details-from-your-xbox-gamertag

I would avoid making references (which is your right) to legal related recourse here.  I believe (not certain) it is a violation of MS' terms of service you (and each of us) agreed to.  It seems MS doesn't like to be threatened in this regard.

Sorry this didn't help.

Good luck, I have the same problem and it's been over two months.  Forum posts, emails, and phone calls get me nowhere.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just past the 3 month mark on my account, only received a free month of gold that expire some time ago and a message saying another 30 days is needed, again well past that 30 days. Just getting old since its coming up on the major release time of the year, and im stuck playing on a meaningless trial account, with a few season passes waiting to be redeemed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Let us know what happens and if you get your issue resolved, also how do you go about filing a BBB complaint?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Divine - have you posted about this before? What date did you first file your UA? Let us know, we mightbe able to help! :)

@OP - We're very sorry to hear about the delay. If you don't hear anything about your account in the next week, could you bump this thread so we can follow up and investigate the delay?  

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, I planned on updating after this week.  

I don't understand why this has to be so difficult.  Microsoft, this gigantic multi-national tech company, is so bad at solving tech problems.  

This is a big deal.  This whole thing is being under responded to by Xbox.  Hacking and Theft is occurring on their service, and money is being stolen from customers.  What is our path of action?  To sit tight, and wait to see how an investigation pans out?  

Right now, the reality is Xbox needs to be bending over backwards for these people being effected,  because it appears that most people are pretty patient about not having access to an account and service they have paid for, along with not being able to take advantage of holiday sales, and in most cases being out actual money.  In some cases over 100$  Instead we are essentially stonewalled by either design, or incompetence.

Either way, we will see how this pans out.

Sorry this didn't help.

Origami, you might try calling back and getting them to do for you what they did for me.  The rep flagged my account for non-payment which prevents any purchases.  She was then able to turn my family gold plan back on so I could play on xbox live (after I went through and changed my password and security question).  I can't buy any DLC until the fraud team lifts the flag, but at least I can play.  It might work for you too.

Good luck.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there Origami, I am on the same boat as you apart from I was hacked on the 6th September, I must have called up 50+ times since then and the support i have gotten is pathetic, I was first told 20 days, then 25 days which then changed to 25 working days, to 30 days and to in the end they said, "were not really sure how long these investigations last, sometimes its a few month" !!!!!

I am still waiting on this and just like yourself i was told i needed to give an alternative email address to which i done. I was also told that when this happened it reset my place in the line and I would be back on 100% on 2nd November (yesterday)

still no email from Xbox so i am going to phone them back up today.

One of the worst experiences ive ever had and the customer service agents dont help the matter when they dont even know what is going on with my account!

Sorry this didn't help.

I was on for over an hour yesterday with them.  Really just to wind them up and I was bored.  Trying to get them to push mine to the top of the list since they called me back saying wrong information in orginal call, which was not my fault but the guy that logged the SR.  I have no hope that my account will be back before Xmas and have pretty much gave up with XBL which is a shame as its a great service.

Sorry this didn't help.