Unauthorized Access Investigation Now at 45 Days

I have been through Xbox Support on the phone numerous times, but since no one can directly contact the Investigations Team, I have no idea what the status of my support request is. I originally called Xbox Support on 09/10/2011 and the investigation was opened the same day. My account had been hijacked (even though no one knew my password and it was DIFFERENT than passwords used elsewhere), points purchased, points spend and then my region changed to Russia. I was told the standard 25 day script and that was that. I had called a few times in the following 25 days, but I was told there was no new information and that I had to wait. 26 days later I received an e-mail from Xbox Support that stated the following: "Your report of an unauthorized access to your Xbox LIVE account has been reviewed by our fraud investigations team. However, there is a delay in processing your request, so we're sending you a free, 30-day Xbox LIVE membership code that you can use to create a new, temporary account." Calling Xbox Support again yielded no new information other than "wait". On 10/20/2011 I called Xbox Support yet again to see if anything new had changed and was told that "because of export laws" region changes to Russia take however long they take. I was invited to call my congressman because maybe that would speed things along. It is now 45 days with no real information on the process of restoring my account to me and I find it unacceptable. I tried to PM Mister Gwyther yesterday, but it seems I have to make a post here first. Fine, I'll complain publicly if that's what they want. Someone please look into this issue and give me some clue as to how long this is going to continue.

Oh, as to that free 30-day gold membership for a new, temporary account... really? I get to create a new account that does not have access to my game saves or achievements or gamerscore? I want MY account back, thank you very much.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 16 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Just want to say that I've been waiting nearly as long as you - my account was compromised on 9/11/11. I reported it to my credit card company and to XBL Support immediately. The investigation is prolonged because they didn't have an alternate email for me that was not previously associated with my account.

I'm somewhat luckier in that my region wasn't changed. I'm not one to keep calling and nagging the poor telephone support people. All I can do is sit and wait :(

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Even they have no clue how long it's going to take. I had the same thing happen to me in July [except it was Brazil, not Russia, that my account was transferred to.] I'm currently sitting on day 89 with absolutely no end in sight. Only communication I've received from MS was that same email you got with the one-month free [which is about to expire]. Called them several times and the best I've gotten was "fires have been lit" under the appropriate people to get this taken care of. That was 2 weeks ago. At this point, I really don't care about my gamer score or achievements. If anything, it gives me a reason to go back and play some old games. I'm more worried about all the DLC I've paid for that is now stuck on that account.

Sorry this didn't help.

Had I not spent hundreds of dollars on DLC and Arcade games I wouldn't be as tied to my account as I am. Perhaps this is a lesson to not buy things from the Marketplace.

During my last phone call with Xbox Support, I asked if my account could be rolled back to the day before things happened. I was told it was possible but the hackers would "still have your password". Well, I would assume that immediately after the rollback Support could reset the password.

As for these "export laws" the Support representative mentioned, could someone quote me the actual law or laws that is holding all these region returns up?

Sorry this didn't help.

Wow, did someone suggest that return of a jacked account transferred from say UA to Russia could not be returned due to "export laws".  FAIL!  If there is a shred of truth to it -- what a WIN for those who perform what are criminal acts!

Sorry this didn't help.

I just read through the Live Terms of Service and the link to Microsoft Export Controls that was contained therein. Nothing on www.microsoft.com/.../default.htm seems to cover Xbox Live Accounts, just hardware and games on CD/DVD. I even looked through the Code of Federal Regulations that deals with Exporting and couldn't identify an exact citation that would seem to cover this. I would be very interested if someone from Microsoft Legal or the Investigations Team could cite the exact CFR that covers returning a Xbox Live Account to the correct region.

Sorry this didn't help.

BTW - Title 15 of the CFR can be found here: ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/.../text-idx and the Export Administration Regulations Database (which links to specific parts of the CFR) can be found here: www.access.gpo.gov/.../ear_data.html

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I'm on day 52 of my wait. I just got off the phone with customer support and they told me to wait another 10 business days. Ever single time I call i get the same crap story about they can't contact tech support, they have been made aware of the issue and I'll just have to wait. I'm getting sick of the BS I'm about to just demand they credit me for all of my down load content and start another account. I'm getting pretty close to heading over to PS3 land.....

Sorry this didn't help.

According to how I read the Terms of Service, I don't they have to credit us for download content. According to the "Liability Limitation" section (16):

16. LIABILITY LIMITATION.

You can recover from us for all successful claims only direct damages up to a total amount equal to your Service fee for one month.  You cannot recover any other damages, including consequential, special, indirect, incidental, or punitive damages and lost profits.

This limitation applies to anything related to this contract, for example:

• the Service;
  • loss of data;
  • your content, third party content (including code), third party programs, or third party conduct;
  • viruses or other disabling features that affect your access to or use of the Service;
  • incompatibility between the Service and other services, software, or hardware;
  • delays or failures you may have in initiating, conducting, or completing any transmissions or transactions in connection with the Service in an accurate or timely manner; and
  • claims for breach of contract; breach of warranty, guarantee, or condition; misrepresentation; strict liability; negligence; or other tort.

It also applies even if this remedy does not fully compensate you for any losses, fails of its essential purpose or we knew or should have known about the possibility of the damages.

However, if you can prove negligence, fraud, gross negligence or willful intent... you may have some recourse. Since we don't have idea how these account compromises happened, I have no idea where we as consumers stand right now.

Nothing in these terms shall affect the statutory rights of any consumer or exclude or restrict liability for death or personal injury arising from our negligence, fraud, or our gross negligence or willful intent. Some or all of these limitations or exclusions may not apply to you if your state, province, or country does not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental, consequential or other damages.

Again, if we were updated on what was going on and what steps are being taken then posts like these wouldn't be happening. I don't dispute the fact that Microsoft needs time to resolve the issues, I dispute the amount of time needed and that we're kept in the dark about the process.

Sorry this didn't help.

I just called and talked to them about the DLC. I guess that's not gonna happen.

Sorry this didn't help.

Once again I'm assuming this may be over the Fifa 12 release of Ultimate Teams,

If this is so then you will simply have to wait the extra 45 days until you can access it. They are trying there hardest to find the person who has hijacked you account.

Hope this help and good luck,

Brad.

Sorry this didn't help.