Unable to obtain IP address

ok I have been trying to help my roommate set up her sons xbox for online now for about 2 months i have called xbox tech support with the tech ending the call in this is beyond me and nothing more and have gone through my ISP provider as well as the xbox troubleshooting site with no progress please help for this is really starting to make me wonder if i should pick up a Xbox 360 or a Playstation 3. The error i am getting is a unable to obtain IP address from your router or modem i use CableOne as my ISP provider the modem is a modem with built in wireless and it is a Motorola SURFboard model number SBG6580 Please do not tell me to go through the troubleshooting again for i have done that and I have even made sure MAC filtering is off on my modem (seeing as my Wii's connect just fine) and I know the Xbox works as the second i plug in the wired connection it puts the check mark showing me it is there and tries to get the internet going but pops up this error. this is also a cable connection that is a 50g connection and is being paid for for her sons gaming so please help.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 19 Applies to:

Just to be clear, this happens while on a wired connection as well? Or is it just wireless? Have you tried setting a static IP for the Xbox to use?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

this is just the wired connection NOT wireless we have yet to go the route of wireless until i can rule out a internal problem with the system itself and yes we have tried a static IP at which point the xbox gives us an error stating that it is unable to run with a static IP we have tried all the tech support troubleshooting on the site and was directed here i have also placed a call to xbox and waiting for a supervisor to get a hold of me. the tech i spoke to did say he doesn't think it is a internal problem cause if there was a problem with the ethernet port it would not detect the cat cable even being plugged in which it does do. so ya there stumped and i am stumped lol.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.