Unable to obtain IP address

ok I have been trying to help my roommate set up her sons xbox for online now for about 2 months i have called xbox tech support with the tech ending the call in this is beyond me and nothing more and have gone through my ISP provider as well as the xbox troubleshooting site with no progress please help for this is really starting to make me wonder if i should pick up a Playstation 3. The error i am getting is a unable to obtain IP address from your router or modem i use CableOne as my ISP provider the modem is a modem with built in wireless and it is a Motorola SURFboard model number SBG6580 Please do not tell me to go through the troubleshooting again for i have done that and I have even made sure MAC filtering is off on my modem (seeing as my Wii's connect just fine) and I know the Xbox works as the second i plug in the wired connection it puts the check mark showing me it is there and tries to get the internet going but pops up this error. this is also a cable connection that is a 50g connection and is being paid for for her sons gaming so please help.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 104 Applies to:

I am also having this trouble. I have followed the steps on here several times and still can't connect. I have the Star Wars Limited Edition of the 360 and am trying to connect wirelessly to Live. My router is a Belkin N600DB and Mac filtering is off. The Xbox sees the wireless connection but keeps saying that it can't obtain an IP address. None of the steps on this website have worked but my Xbox is in the living room and the router in another room so it would be hard to try a cable. Tablets and other wireless devices work all over the house but not the Xbox. Can anyone help?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Well if you were getting the message to say "Please insert an Ethernet cable" when there was one in already I would say using a Wireless adapter would be fine.

But you don't get that error you get ip address failed which isn't a physical error its higher up the stack i.e. in software or in something that controls that software, maybe a network chip (I dunno I don't the inners of a Xbox or how its  motherboard works)

So if its this network controller that is faulty (if it exists, again my theory) then a wireless adapter won't work either.

I guess its a hard choice really, you could:-

Pay for a Microsoft repair (but the Xbox is old anyway)

Chance a wireless adapter

Buy a Slim

Buying a Slim is obviously most expensive but you'd get a brand new Xbox and warranty.

Sorry this didn't help.

ya that is what i am figuring on we finally heard from the super yesturday and he elvated it to his boss to see if there is anything else they could think of also and maybe someone will know this or maybe even you shad0wmanUK if the ethernet port is fried will that effect the usb port (basically would it even be worth it to get the wireless adapter) so i can try and go wireless. basically don't want to **** away 80 bucks if it wont work kind of thing.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well 99% of the time I would agree with that tech because usually if there is an Ethernet port issue it doesn't detect the cable full stop, but I have seen at least 5 times issues where it shows an ip address failure and the issue was hardware just deeper into the Xbox, I went through the same troubleshooting steps I've advised you and it was resolved with a repair.

I honestly think its hardware and what you've done proves it. A wired connection with the Xbox on auto  ip address should work on any router using DHCP (DHCP is on by default) and you've tried it at two locations, I don't think you'll get this resolved with it being repaired there's nothing else you can try yourself.

Sorry this didn't help.

ya we tried it at a friends house and got the same error however i did put in another call to xbox and they have a supervisor scheduled to get a hold of us. The tech doesn't think it is having a hardware problem cause if there was something wrong with the ethernet port he said that the xbox would not even detect that there was a wired connection present which it is. so if anyone knows anything please let me know and i will hopefully be able to keep this updated once i have an answer for peeps in the future.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok yes try it at a friends that is a good test. It sounds like the Xbox is faulty to me if you've run the factory reset and changed nothing else I would expect it to work wired

Sorry this didn't help.

also we are using the white xbox not the new slim

Sorry this didn't help.

we are running a wired connection i am actually going to be trying the Xbox at a neighbors house and see what we get cause if it works np there then my ISP is not going to be happy today cause they will be replacing a modem lol. but yes it is wired and i have tried the restore defaults hell i have even tried bridging the connection and connecting the xbox up to the comp which connects np. we have also done the internet connection share both were recomended buy xbox to help my problem and still nothing.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Its not clear if you are trying to connect wired or wireless, have you tried both? And if wireless which adapter are you using, the black, white or internal 360S version?

Also run the "Factory defaults" settings in then network section of the Xbox and change nothing else on the Xbox after that

Sorry this didn't help.