Unable to log into my real profile and support has me running in circles.

Hello,

Last week, I turned on my xbox after a long absence and tried to log into my profile.  Xbox live asked me to re-enter my e-mail and password for security verification.  After entering this information, I received an error message and was told this information was incorrect.  I then went to the xbox.com web site and attempted to sign into my profile there and was also unsuccessful.  I then attempted a password reset via e-mail.  After receiving the e-mail from MS and following the reset link, I entered a new password.  However, I could not sign into the web site or xbox live using this new password.  I tried the password reset via e-mail a few more times just to make sure I didn't make a mistake in creating a new password, but was still unable to log in.

I then contacted Xbox chat support and the CSR had me fill out a form with my account information and describing the problem.  I had to use an alternate windows live account for this request.  A day later, I received a response from Microsoft support with a link to reset my password via e-mail (again).  I followed the link provided and tried the password reset once more.  The reset procedure seems to work on the web site (I don't receive any error messages), but I still cannot log into Xbox Live or the website using the windows id associated with my real gamertag using the new password.

If it's any help, my xbox live account is 10+ years old was created with a hotmail address.  A few years back, I closed the hotmail account and moved this gamertag to gmail account. Despite the changes, I've never had any problems logging in before and I've renewed my Gold membership every year without any incident.

So, how do I get my xbox to log into my real profile?  I'm going to be pretty furious if I lose all my DLC and achievements.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

So when you do the reset link, it has you create a brand new password, then it kicks you out back to sign in, almost looking like a glitch, are you signing in with the new email & password then? Because it's actually testing you, then you need to update your security proofs after that.  Then go to xbox.com and sign in. If you can't, or it asks you to create a new gamertag (don't) you might have the wrong WLID, it's possible that that hotmail is still open and your resetting a different gamertag WLID. If it IS your correct gamertag then go to My Account, then go to Billing Contact Information, when you try to access this it'll ask you to use one of your verified security proofs. Do this then update the info if you need too. Then don't try to sign into the profile, actually check the storage and see if the profile is corrupt. If it is delete it. You do this by going Settings, System, Storage, Device, Profiles. Check every folder for corrupted files. Then clear the cashe. At All Devices you highlight your device then select Y for device options, clear system cashe. Now just try to download the profile, like I said before don't sign in, just like you were bringing it onto the console for the first time. For those that don't know select the Guide (Silver button in the middle of the controller) then go down 2 from Sign in, past Create Profile, to Download Profile. Then enter in the email & Password. I know alot of these steps seem redundant or pointless but trust me they help. After doing all of that tell me what happens of if you get an error message.  

I AM NOT A MICROSOFT EMPLOYEE NOR FORUM MODERATOR. However I do know a lot about acct recovery.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Just to be clear, there are 3 e-mail addresses in play here:  a hotmail account, which was used to create the XBL account; a gmail account, which the XBL account was moved to about four years ago when the hotmail was closed (and I checked and it was closed); and a work e-mail, which has a separate WLID that I use for work.

Here's what happened:

1.  Support said that I needed to use a separate WLID to fill out an online form to request an account reset on my XBL account, so I used my work WLID for this.

2.  In response to the form, I received an e-mail from MS at my gmail account with a password reset link.  I follow the link and it asks me to pick a new password for the WLID associated with the gmail account.  If I enter in the current password or any of the previous passwords for this account, I get an error message stating that this password has already been used.  So the system is recording passwords for the gmail WLID "somewhere."

3.  I enter a brand new password into the reset form and the system then asks me to log into my work WLID.  The login form is pre-filled with this ID and I can't change it to my gmail WLID.  I enter my work WLID password and add security information (cell number, first pet, etc.) and save it to the work WLID profile.

4.  I then log out of my work WLID and go to xbox.com.  I try to log into my account using my gmail WLID and new password.  The login fails with the new password and the previous password.  The login also fails when I try using my old hotmail email and my original password or the new password.  

5.  I can log into xbox.com using my work WLID and its password (which is different than the other passwords).  However, I can't access my real gamertag or other account info using this WLID.

And this is where I'm stuck.  What now?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, I think I figured out your issue, because your work email is saved in your browser settings it auto-populates, so do the reset link thing (for the correct gmail email attached to your gamertag), then when it goes to sign in to test the new password, there's a link that says "Sign in with a different Microsoft Account," its underneath Sign in, and "Can't access my account" and this will remove that work email. Also use Internet Explorer for the reset. If Chrome/Safari/whatever is your regular browser, I would copy & Paste the email reset link. Let me know!

Also the hotmail that it was once attached too, if you truly changed the WLID, which it sounds like you did, is no longer in play now, so you can remove that from the issue!

I AM NOT A MICROSOFT EMPLOYEE NOR FORUM MODERATOR. However I do know a lot about acct recovery.

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried this and, unfortunately, the password reset still doesn't work.  

I opened the password reset link provided by MS using Internet Explorer and requested yet another password reset via e-mail.  I then received a reset request email at my gmail account, which is associated with my XBL account.  I opened this link in IE and entered a new password.  

I'm then prompted to sign in to my WLID account.  I used my gmail address as my WLID (the same address that the reset e-mail was sent to) and enter the brand new password.  The login is rejected.  I also tried using the last password and still no luck.

I also tried signing into XBL on my console with the gmail WLID and the new password.  I get the error: 8015D002

Sorry this didn't help.

To Reset your password.

Go to forgotten password and request a Reset link.

Go to your email that you use to log in with your Windows ID, Yahoo, Gmail, Etc.

When you Reset your password make a password you will remember

if this does not work, shoot me up a message and ill walk you step by step.

Sorry this didn't help.

NO! At the top of the email it says "You requested a password reset for the microsoft account *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, is that your gmail?" Are you sure? AND you are not using like a smartphone, tablet, etc? It's a PC? Your not getting any messages like Account Blocked? Temporarily Blocked? I've heard of the login thing happening but it was always with people who were using chrome, firefox, & safari. Can you answer the security question instead? Do you have a phone code?

Sorry this didn't help.

My name is number 345 but when I sign in on the website it says squinty stew12 it's bugging me and they should fix it or I'm doing it wrong

Sorry this didn't help.

SquintyStew12, , these forums work best when you create a new thread with a first post of your own, as the original poster's problem and solution, although similar, could be very different in detail. It's great that you're researching here, but the quickest path to a solution is your own new thread instead of a three week old closed thread.

Sorry this didn't help.