Unable to get keyboard/mouse to work in Fortnite for child accounts (but they work for adults)

We got an XBOX for Christmas, and my son *really* wants to play Fortnite with a keyboard and mouse, but it's not working for him.

If I play Fornite on the XBOX using my adult account, our keyboard and mouse work perfectly to control the character in a round.  I understand this feature was just recently added in November of 2018.

However, when we switch to his child profile on the XBOX, Fortnite still recognizes he has a keyboard and mouse attached and puts him into matches with other keyboard and mouse users, but the keys on the keyboard are completely non-functional for moving his character, and the mouse will not do anything either.  The mouse pointer is functional in the lobby, but the keyboard is not (even the ESC key does not work).  We've tried a dozen different sequences of login/launch operations to get this to work, all to no avail.

I can switch back to my adult profile without even exiting the game, and the keyboard and mouse work perfectly again.  Presently, that's our only workaround for this issue, but it's annoying because he's playing as me and does not have the skins/v-bucks/friends associated with his own Fortnite account.  Plus, his screen time limits don't apply, etc.

So there must be some child-related setting that's preventing this, or a bug.  I've followed the suggestions of the above post, and most recently set his "Xbox Live privacy" settings to "Adult" (which fully enables all aspects of cross-network play), restarted the console, and still the problem persists.  I don't see any other info on-line about this child-specific Fortnite keyboard issue on XBOX.

This should be easy for Microsoft to reproduce.  I've already gone back to the Microsoft Store to ask for help about this problem, but that was before I figured out that it was specific to his child account (and they probably don't have consoles set up with family accounts).  Should I contact Epic Game support as well?  It might be harder for them to reproduce if they do not have Microsoft family accounts set up on an Xbox...

Please help!

Answer
Answer

Hi there,

I do not believe that there is anything that you would be able to do from your side to get this resolved. Unfortunately, this seems to be a known issue. 

Please take a look at the following article.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/known-issues-for-game-launches-january-2019/

There is a section that reads as follows "Note: Child accounts are unable to use Mouse & Keyboard support on Fortnite at this time. Look for news in the future on when this feature will be enabled."

As you mentioned, this is a feature that was first implemented two months ago and it may just take a little bit longer for it to be available to child accounts.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 15, 2023 Views 4,835 Applies to: