Unable to create child account - keep ending up with 'Xbox LIVE sign up is currently unavailable. Please try again later.' error

I have been trying now for at least a couple of weeks to convert a local profile on my Xbox, belonging to my daughter, into a child account under my main WLID and gamertag.

The end result of each attempt however has been the aforementioned error message from within the Xbox 360 dashboard.

'Xbox LIVE sign up is currently unavailable. Please try again later'

I must have created three or four throw-away WLID/email addresses for the purpose of associating with this gamertag but to no avail. 

No matter what I do, at some point along the way, either after a) entering the WLID username/password account information or b) at the point where I'm entering in the credit card information associated with the adult/Xbox Live Gold account for validation purposes, it get this error messaging.

How in the hell then, do I create a 'child account'? 

I didn't have this problem with one or two previous child account creations with already existing local profiles.  Why all of the sudden am I having now?

In the end I just gave up and created another WLID (email) via the Hotmail account signup and then signed into Xbox.com, converting the auto-generated local profile into the same gamertag as I had assigned to the local profile I gave up on. 

End result of this however, is that there appears to be no way to 'demote' this WLID to a child account managed under the aforementioned parent/adult WLID and gamertag.

WTF(unk) Xbox Live...?  Again I ask the question, how then am I supposed to create a child account? 

It would seem that it is only possible from within the Xbox Live dashboard and must be done from a local profile?

P.S.  Needless to say, with regards to the original attempt (local profile), I really wanted to avoid this because my daughter wanted to keep her avatar which she had invested a fair bit of time in customizing, not to mention her gamerscore from the few games she is allowed to play.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Also wanted to point out that I've been through all the steps called out on the following page as well:

support.microsoft.com/.../912278

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey there Chewie! Are you able to create a brand new LIVE account at this time? I'm trying to see if you are simply having a problem with child accounts or creating LIVE accounts in general. Make up or use a dummy WLID for this in case it goes through. Let me know, thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, thanks for the super fast response.  

I did create an entirely new account.  Do you want me to post the WLID here or PM it to you?  

The Gamertag I assigned to the WLID is FancyAnika.  It is NOT a child account.

I believe the problem is primarily my being able to create child accounts although I can't rule out that it is not both scenarios you described above.

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you able to create a new Child Account (again, a dummy account is fine)? That would mean your issue is with making a local profile into a child account, not create child accounts altogether. Let me know, thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.