Unable to Connect Xbox 360 to Xbox LIVE!

Hello, I've been having serious trouble connecting my Xbox 360 Elite to the internet. I've done it once before and played on LIVE! successfully, but am completely unable to do so now. Here are the details:

My past and current set-up works like this: my router and modem are on another floor in the house, so I connect my computer via a wireless adapter. To connect my 360 to the internet, I use a standard Ethernet Cable connecting to my computer, sharing the wireless internet the computer receives. None of this is the problem, as the set-up has not changed prior to my 360 being unable to connect to Xbox LIVE!. Same router/modem, same wireless adapter, same settings.

Methods I've tried to get this to work so far are the standard advice you get from the 360 itself (restarting router, tinkering with router/modem settings, etc.), and disabling firewalls and going as far as to uninstall anti-virus temporarily. I've read through the stickies as well, but since my problem seemed unrelated to each one, they were no help.

I can't get past the first part of the connection test, connecting my 360 to the network. My 360 "Can't obtain an IP address from my router or modem." The error status report is as follows

W: 0000 - 000B

X: 4000 - 1001

Y: 0000 - 0000

Z: 0000 - 0000

ID: 0001 - 0002

The only issue I have in mind that may be the culprit, is a change in computers. As soon as I had to use a new computer to connect to my 360 via Ethernet (the previous one simply broke), I could no longer connect. The current computer runs the latest Windows XP (not enough memory for Vista or 7 )= ), and is a very old 2002 Dell with ancient specs: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz

Can viruses in a computer cause Ethernet ports or internet sharing functionality to not work properly? Is this particular computer simply incompatible with the 360 (I don't see why it would be though, the other computer I used to connect previously was just as old)?

If any additional information is needed, I'll be happy to provide. So, could anybody please help me fix my issue?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Hi,

Please look at one or both of these guides for help on this set-up:-

support.microsoft.com/.../978618

www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/xbox-ics-bridging-guide

Thanks

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the response. =)

Unfortunately, those guides weren't of much help. At my Network Connections, I don't have a Local Area Connection for bridging (does this mean my computer is not recognizing the Ethernet cable?), and in my Wireless Connection properties, under the Advanced tab, there is nothing to check for allowing a shared connection. Only a firewall option.

I would assume this is abnormal. =( Any suggestions or guides for fixing this?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is indeed abnormal, it sounds like your Local Area Connection (assuming it has one) has either developed a fault or does not have the correct Windows drivers loaded for it.

If you look in Device manager:- pcsupport.about.com/.../opendmxp.htm

Do you have any items with an exclamation mark against them? Once you have resolved that those guides will work

Sorry this didn't help.

None of the items have an exclamation mark, no. I would assume a question mark as the icon to the left is natural for all the items under "Other devices", yes? Also, one of these "other devices" is labeled "Ethernet Controller". Would that have anything to do with my LAN problem?

Is there a way to identify what drivers are correct for LAN, and which ones aren't, besides the exclamation mark? Is it possible a computer can lack these drivers completely?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes that Ethernet controller is the one and as it has a ? it means it is detected but not installed (a driver issue) try the advice here:- pcsupport.about.com/.../driverupdate.htm

Also if you can still find it Everest Home Edition is a great tool to find out what is in your PC so you can get the drivers for it. Its free if you can still find it on the net

Sorry this didn't help.

Great, we're definitely getting close to solving the issue. =)

I explored the link about driver updates, and eventually found my way to Intel's driver downloads website: downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx

I have absolutely no idea which driver to download, though... I'd assume it's very important which one I do download, yes? How do I find out which one is for my OS?

I also downloaded the Everest Home Edition, although I don't have any idea how to use these reports to discover what drivers I do have, unless this means anything: Intel 82801FB ICH6

A lot of drivers and/or devices are labeled with this in the report. Is this of any significance to which Ethernet controller I should download?

Sorry this didn't help.

Intel 82801FB ICH6 looks like a sound card, yeah you really need to find out what type of Ethernet controller you have. Everest should tell you what you have installed hopefully. When you run it click on Network/Windows Network and it should list the adapter(s) in there

Sorry this didn't help.

Once you directed me to "Network", I discovered my outdated Ethernet driver, and immediately found the update. Everything is working as it should now. I have to thank you very much for sparing your time and knowledge. =) Thanks a ton, man.

Sorry this didn't help.

That's great news you are welcome :)

Sorry this didn't help.