Unable to connect to Xbox Live - reason unknown

Hi,

I've been an xbox live user for close to a year now. A few days ago my xbox live connection stopped working. No idea why.

When I start up my xbox, one of two things happens:

1) It fails to sign into live automatically like it's supposed to.

2) It signs in and shows me how many friends I have online.

If it fails to sign in, I select "Connect to xbox live". It fails to sign in and asks me if I want to do a connection test. More on that to follow.

If it signs in and shows me who's online, I try to connect to Netflix or Hulu or Zune or another app. These all fail with some version of "this service is not available right now".

So, then I try a connection test by going to Settings > Network Settings > (my wireless network) > Test XBOX Live Connection.

This is what happens EVERY TIME I try the test:

It connects to the wireless network fine. It connects to the internet just fine. It tries to connect to Live, then  I get the following error message pop up:

"Test Failed

There's a problem with your connection. Select More Info for a description of the problem and how you can fix it."

If I select More Info, it advances to another screen that tells me to unplug the power from the router or modem. I've done this. Many, many, many times I've tried resetting and unplugging both the router and the cable modem. Many, many times... many. The point I'm trying to get across is that I've tried this. A lot.

What is the freaking problem?

I've also tried all the steps (including resetting the connection settings to factory defaults) in the connection help wizard found elsewhere on this site. That, needless to say, didn't help either.

Here is the y-button "more info":

W: 0000 - 0021
X: 0000 - F001
Y: 30A8 - 4840
Z: 0000 - 0000
ID FFFF - FFFF
L: 0015 - 10F1
Q: 0015 - 10F1
T: Wireless
A: 192.168.1.5/255.255.255.0
G: 192.168.1.1
D: 192.168.1.1, 75.75.75.75
N: TimBataleNew
S: WPA2
C: 2
Here is the info your "START HERE" page requested to provide:
I live in Utah, United States.
Router: Asus RT-N12
I don't know the modem model.
My wireless adapter is dark grey.
See above for things I've tried.
I dont know if UPnP is enabled.
No NAT error.
No error codes other than those mentioned above.
ISP is Comcast.
Please help. Thank you,
CutmanCommeth

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 42 Applies to:

Hey there Cutman!
I see that you have already tried some troubleshooting but without any success.
Could you look up your modem's brand&model just so we know if this is a modem and not a modem with built in router.

First of all make sure you have the latest firmware for your router. If there is a new update available visit the manufacturers website and download it from there. Take a look in your router settings and see which secuirity protocol is added.

You could take a look at this troubleshooting guide for wireless.
http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/faqs/114-troubleshooting-and-improving-wireless 

I don't know if the Asus RT-N12 administration page has the same look as the RT-N11. Take a look at this:
http://screenshots.portforward.com/Asus/RT-N11/index.htm and the picture "IP Config - Miscellaneous" how to enable UPnP.

Clear the Xbox System Cache:
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/settings-and-initial-setup/clear-system-cache 

Post back and let us know if any of the suggested worked for you.

Thanks! 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

None of these worked.

More information:

I tried connecting to Live via an Ethernet cable instead of wireless. Exact same problem occurred.

I checked and, yes, UPnP is enabled.

I haven't had a chance to get the modem model yet. I'll do that soon.

In the mean time. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

I think the key lies in the fact that the problem just happened out of the blue one day last week, when I had been connecting fine for months. What could have changed?

Is seems like the problem is specific to my XBox because my brother's XBox is on this same network, and it connects to Live just fine, even if I sign in on my profile.

Help!

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh, also, I did a firmware update. No help.

And the security is WPA2 -personal, just like it has been for as long as this network has been set up.

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you notice if this issues occurs when you and your brother are using your xboxes at the same time?

If your Xbox let's you connect to Xbox LIVE. Then try and delete your profile (profile only) and then download it. support.xbox.com/.../profile-move-delete 

If it is not all apps causing you the same trouble can you delete those apps who does and then download them.

In your storage devices search for corrupted contents. Will be shown as a yellow exclamation mark.

Did you have any difficulties when you installed the latest and the previous system update to your Xbox?

Sorry this didn't help.