Unable To Change Parental Account

Note, I'm a 15 year old minor. I'm not sure where this should go so I'm sticking it here. Move it if you want to.

This all started around early March or late February. I had recently gotten my new PC, and for the most part stopped using Xbox Live. My family would still watch netflix on it occasionally. One night my family couldn't connect to Xbox Live for some reason. They called me over to fix it, and apparently it wanted me to change my parental account, my parental account being my brother's account (because he set my Xbox Live up for me.). His account had apparently been deleted due to inactivity. I used my mom's recently created account during the process, but when I finished the process it said...

"Xbox Live signup unavailable right now" Note, its been saying this the past couple of months.

I entered in multiple different accounts, and it said the same thing. I ended up leaving it alone for a week to see if anything would change. Nothing changed, so I decided to contact support. They suggested I try to do it from the Xbox "My Account" page instead. I went to the my account page, only to be greeted by a runtime error screen.

Server Error in '/' Application.
Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine. 

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
    </system.web>
</configuration>

That's what it says. I googled it and I found multiple people having the same problem. A couple of people said that changing browsers would help, and several others said try it from a different PC. I tried every browser I can think of, and have logged on from several different PCs. I still get the Runtime Error on that page. I have also tried logging in through several other accounts (such as my sister's and my mom's account), and when I go to the My Account page it works perfectly fine. It seems only to be affecting my specific account.

I've contacted support about all of these problems multiple times with no results, I have tried to access the my account page from multiple browsers, on separate machines,  I have tried turning it on and off again, and I have tried reactivating my brother's account. All of this with no avail. Does anyone know how to fix this or do I have to wait three years for my account to mature?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 52 Applies to:

This usually happens once in a while, try again later and see if the same error happens. It usually works for me when I wait a while and try again. Also, you should try to clear your browsing history on your web browser. You never know, it could be causing said error.

I hope everything works out for you soon enough. :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Black Bones, I don't think you read the entire thread.

"This all started around early March or late February."

Meaning, its been a little over a month now and the situation hasn't changed.

Sorry this didn't help.

So, after a month and a half, I finally figured out why this was happening. Apparently it was because I didn't have a parent account active.

I can't change my parent account because I can't access the My Account page.

I can't access the My Account page because I can't change my parent account.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there MrMafia! Sounds like quite a pickle of situation. Let's have you try to sign in at account.live.com instead. If you're able to access that page with both the parent account and the child account, then follow the steps here to complete the process!

If you're still unable to sign in and adjust your account settings through that page, then it may be best to reach out to our Phone team and have them help you complete the process.

Sorry this didn't help.