Unable to add credit card online

Hi, 

I've been trying to add a creditcard to my account on the xbox.com website so I can buy some MS points and renew my gold. 

I removed my previous card that had expired and now trying to add my new card. (the exact same type).

It is a VISA credit card. It has worked in the past and I am trying to add my replacement card that is valid.

Each time I try to add the card and click the save button. it highlights the credit card number with an error message in red stating "Please enter a valid credit card number."

I have tried another VISA card and that causes the same problem.

My account region, actual region and payment method are all set to UK. Payment details are correct. I have purchased something online with this card this week already.

I have contacted billing support on the phone and they are unable to get it to work. Anyone else having this issue and had it resolved?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 97 Applies to:

Have you tried to add it via billing.microsoft.com? If that fails, try making a Paypal account and use that (if you don't know PayPal, it masks your credit card for more secure transactions, VERY popular on eBay).  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I went on to the billing site direct as well and that seems to have removed the function (at the time I was looking). I trid to follow the onsite instructions to add a card but certain links were no where ot be seen. I have since used PayPal but my lord was this a ball ache I only wanted to renew live.

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you currently have a payment method on your account? Are you trying to add one or replace an old one?

Sorry this didn't help.

i need help with this aswell. idk what to do i would rather not use paypal. and here is my question.

ok so my unlce is giving me access to his credit card account. But everytime i try and add it to my xbox live account it keeps on popping an error message "Cant authorize the selected payment option." how can i fix this?

Sorry this didn't help.

Does this forum not merge threads about the same problem? Just in browsing the first few pages I've seen half a dozen people complaining about this (including me) but it's treated like a new and separate problem with each person. It's obviously a widespread issue. Yet, when I called MS they were completely unaware of it.

Sorry this didn't help.

The posts aren't merged because it's not always the same problem for each user.

Sorry this didn't help.