Ubisoft Joins Online Pass Scheme: Uplay Passport

Ubisoft has confirmed reports that it's to launch its own online pass later this year, beginning with the release of Driver: San Francisco.

Copies of the publisher's "popular core games" will ship with a one-time code - dubbed Uplay Passport - required to access "bonus content, exclusive offers, and online multiplayer play", the company said in a statement.

To access online play and related content, second-hand game buyers will need to purchase a Uplay Passport on the PlayStation Store for $9.99 (no UK pricing announced yet) or Xbox Live Marketplace for 800 Microsoft Points (about £6.85).

Ubisoft is the latest publisher to jump on the online pass bandwagon, following similar initiatives introduced by the likes of EA, THQ and most recently Sony.

Source = http://www.computerandvideogames.com/312003/news/ubisoft-details-online-pass-scheme/

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This is going to end up happening to just about every game we buy , probably happen to single player games too , think that Alice game has it just to unlock an old version of the game and a  100g cheev , i can see this CoD Elite thingy evolving into some sort of online pass too , sad times for the second hand bargain hunter.

bah Driver died after Driver 2 lol

This will become the norm sadley.

I don't get all the moaning about these online passes. I think its a smart move from the developers point of view.

From a business point of view i`d have to agree , as a consumer however , i think it`s a f`ing liberty lol.

[quote user="Dainja Raas"]

From a business point of view i`d have to agree , as a consumer however , i think it`s a f`ing liberty lol.

[/quote]Not a liberty if you buy new!!!!

and even if you did pick it up at a pre-owned price...800msp at just over £6 isnt so bad really...but then you will always get those who think think they are losing out, well thats what happens when you rent or go pre-owned

But would the game have a lower RRP if the online pass was not added to a brand new copy ? For people who have no access to broadband or have silver accounts the pass is of no use but still has to be paid for when purchasing a new copy .  

well considering its only a few lines of code you are actually buying....the pass system is including in the rrp of a new game, as the pre-owned and renting market doesnt get close to that rrp price the online pass isnt included for them. You buy new you get the full package, you buy second hand or rent and you have to add the pass if you want to play online otherwise its not an issue

Yeah , i don`t buy pre-owned if the game is predominantely MP so it`s of no consequence to me , i have browsed the pre-owned section for the odd single player experience though.

as long as you can get the online passes from the market place,then you just have to make sure buying second hand that you are getting it for a price low enough to make it worth it.the market it will kill if all developers follow is the rental`s