Two XBOX Live Accounts with two separate gamertags and Borderlands 2 dlc

Hi there,

I have an old XBOX Live account with a gamertag that has a high-level character on Borderlands 2. I have a new XBOX live account with its own gamertag that I used to buy the DLC's for Borderlands 2, because that first XBOX Live account has parental restrictions that cannot be removed because we can't access the parent account as the phone number tied to it for security does not exist anymore.

Is there any way I can get to play the DLC's with my old gamertag? The DLC's are tied to this new gamertag and I'm wondering if I follow these steps (https://support.xbox.com/en-CA/my-account/manage-gamertag-and-profile/switch-gamertag-to-different-microsoft-account) to switch my old gamertag to the new microsoft account that has bought the DLC's, if I would be able to redownload the DLC's or if they would instead transfer to the old microsoft account because that gamertag has the licenses to the content? 

Does that make sense at all?

Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 27 Applies to:

So I guess a better question would be, are DLC licenses tied to the specific xbox live account that bought them, or the gamertag associated with that account?

If one transfers a gamertag using these steps (support.xbox.com/.../switch-gamertag-to-different-microsoft-account), does that transferred gamertag have access to the download history of the account it was just transferred to?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Your content transfers to the new gamertag.

Sorry this didn't help.

I mean to the new Microsoft Account.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there RacketyZebra,

The DLC will stay associated with the Xbox Live profile, not the Microsoft Account (the email address) behind it. This means that even if you use the steps you linked to transfer the gamertag to a different Microsoft Account, the content would still be owned by the same Xbox Live profile, just on a different Microsoft Account.

As such, there is no way to transfer the content ownership from the purchasing Xbox Live profile to the other profile.

However, on the console that you downloaded the DLC, the second profile (older one, with the Borderlands saves) should actually have access to the content, as per the DRM on content. The console will hold the 'content licence' for the content, and as such any user profile on that console should have unrestricted access to it, even if offline completely.

Xbox Forums moderator. Xbox MVP. r/xboxinsiders moderator. Twitter: @13mxn

Sorry this didn't help.