Two Consoles in one house with one gamertag

Hello.

I recently bought a second xbox for my home with the idea of being able to stream Netflix to my downstairs TV.   After unpacking, I recovered my gamertag to the new console and all was well.  Upon going to my original console in my upstairs bonus room, I tried to sign in and I get a nasty message from Microsoft saying its invalid and I need to recover my tag.  Is there any way I can have my single profile on each console without having to recover the thing everytime I want to use it??  Especially if my wife wants to watch Netflix downstairs...why should she have to go through the nonsense of putting in my gamertag info?  I already pay for a Gold Membership...why should I have to pay for a second just to watch Netflix?  This seems ridiculous and petty on Microsofts part.  I already bought a new system..what more do they want?  I tried the USB thing (putting my profile on a USB stick and having it attached to my new console) but that doesn't work either...same message.  How can I get around this? 

Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

You can only use a gamertag on one console at a time. So the only thing you can do is either recover the gamertag each time, or use the USB drive.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="Uncle Death II"]Upon going to my original console in my upstairs bonus room, I tried to sign in and I get a nasty message from Microsoft saying its invalid and I need to recover my tag.[/quote]Your gamertag is only valid on one local storage device at a time. The master copy of your gamertag is stored in the XBOX Live cloud. Multiple local copies would result in sync issues.[quote]Is there any way I can have my single profile on each console without having to recover the thing everytime I want to use it??[/quote]Sure, if you don't mind one console being offline and losing achievements gained on the tag while it's offline.[quote]Especially if my wife wants to watch Netflix downstairs...why should she have to go through the nonsense of putting in my gamertag info?[/quote]I agree completely. She should have her own account and keep it on a USB MU as well.[quote]I already pay for a Gold Membership...why should I have to pay for a second just to watch Netflix?[/quote]Memberships are per person, not per device/per set of devices. Any individual who wishes to access The Service is required to have an account.[quote]This seems ridiculous and petty on Microsofts part.[/quote]Why? If all she wants to do is watch Netflix, she should buy a Roku or a blu-ray player. Not only do both of those use considerably less power than a 360, they don't require a Live account.[quote]I already bought a new system..what more do they want?[/quote]Proper tracking of Live usage?[quote] I tried the USB thing (putting my profile on a USB stick and having it attached to my new console) but that doesn't work either...same message.[/quote]Then the "other" tag is still the valid one. My gamertag is on a USB MU. It works no matter which console I connect the USB MU to.[quote]How can I get around this?[/quote]What, signing into Live simultaneously on more than one device with a single tag? You can't. The system is designed so that a gamertag may only be signed into Live on one device at a time.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.