TV/Xbox360 100hz

hello,community

i have an samsung lcd 6 series that supports 100hz the television is fine but when i start my Xbox it's says 1080p 60hz i dont really know what's wrong with this

i have tried everything....monitor plus ( an option that allows you use the tv on 100hz) it's works yeah but it when i turn it on the only thing that i notice it's and incredible input lag.

i have tried Game mode (which reduces the lag when an external console it's connected) this works but the tv will set itself to 60hz

what i want is to use a television on 100hz without any input lag! is it possible?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 63 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You can't. Technically, the TV is CAPABLE of 100hz, but you need a device connected to it that allows you to set it to 100hz as well, which is really only a PC...

Looking up samsung 100hz televisions, your probably confused with the fact that the 100hz feature is a Samsung Auto Motion feature that makes the picture seem smoother, but it creates input lag So don't use this setting if thats what it refers to.

Xbox 360's are capped at 60hz because if it allowed 100hz (which it can't), it would mean two things:

1. the Xbox 360 is too slow in terms of hardware, rendering 100 frames per second in a game( call of duty is bumped down to a sub-HD resolution just to achieve the 60hz/60fps performance).

2. If it WERE possible, you would have an unfair advantage to people ingame that have only 60hz TV's, but this is not possible to due Reason #1 not being possible.

All i can recommend you do, is if your using and HDMI cable, go to the xbox system settings and turn off Display Discovery in the Display menu. LCD's have a small chip called an EDID that HDMI-compliant devices read off of to get the supported picture modes of your TV.

Lol, see if disabling Display Discovery lets you work with 100hz (although it shouldn't and probably won't).

100 Hz means the TV doubles the input frame rate in an attempt to create smoother motion, not that it accepts a 100Hz input. This is called motion compensated frame interpolation, or MCFI for short.

To create those extra frames, it analyzes the motion between existing frames and reassembles them into additional intermediate frames, guesses at what they would look like if they existed in the input. To do this analysis and reassembly, the display must buffer several frames in advance that it can use for reference. So, MCFI inherently causes a delay of several frames - there is no way around it.

As the saying goes, it's the nature of the beast.

Exactly. So he shouldnt be worried about it and shouldnt use it.

100Hz scan (Auto Motion Plus) is to stop screen flicker + blurriness of motion pictures & can be used while using 60Hz etc..

The 1080p 60Hz input from Devices, will always be 60Hz... Then, the TV just overscans the 60Hz Refresh, with a second 100Hz refresh, to stabilise pixels in motion pictures etc..

Overscanning, can help in some cases & be detrimental in others... So, it's entirely your prerogative...

You can see, if it's works for you here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJiytBm76g0

Your TV shows 1080p/60hz, when you turn your Xbox on, because that's the the input it's receiving. If you turn on Auto Motion Plus, for the input you're using, then your TV will be running its 100hz interpolation software. Samsung's interpolation technology has never been the best, so this may not produce the results you'd like...and it's probably already the case, because you may have had this feature on the whole time, already.

The other reason 100hz isn't the greatest is that it's an uneven scale up of the input refresh rate. It needs to interpolate 40 frames for every 60 that are normally created. This creates an uneven 2:3 interpolation ratio, which can introduce considerable judder and a bit of post processing lag. Sony combats this issue by having even interpolation engines running at 120hz, 240hz, 480hz and 960hz...so 2:1, 4:1, 8:1, and 16:1.

Movies are handled differently and many new TVs will have a Cinema mode, or something like that, but this is not important to your question.

Your TV's Game mode should be your best option, as the manufacturer sets these mode with as few post processors as possible and generally optimal picture settings. If you do your own tinkering, then it's advisable to turn of all picture enhancements, set your brightness a little higher than for movies and your colors a little more vivid.

I would suggest just using your Samsung in game mode, as their TVs are generally regarded as some of the best gaming performers with this mode turned on. Playing with the settings won't really do much better.

P.s. this is what "overscan" means:

en.wikipedia.org/.../Overscan

It is also, a second 100Hz Overscan of the sources 60Hz refresh rate (Double Refresh Rate)....

Your TV is scanning twice, once @ 60Hz & again @ 100Hz... So, 100Hz is Overscanning the 60Hz refresh rate & stopping screen flicker & blurriness of moving pictures...

The second 100Hz scan, needs to be higher or faster than the sources Hz frequency or you would have no benefit of using it..

en.wikipedia.org/.../Hertz

That's not what Overscan means with respect to TVs. That's also not what a "100Hz" TV does with an input signal.

Keep on stringing those words together...

I like the way, you say it's wrong... But, you don't elaborate on why it's wrong... Anyone, can just say it's wrong & have no clue...

Endgamez linked you to the Wikipedia entry on overscan and you proceeded to make up your own definition. What more do you want? Far as TVs with refresh rates in excess of input signals, There are plenty of reviews of such TVs and papers that explain what different companies do. There's no point in me providing links as you've proven you either do not read them or you do not understand what was written.