TV compatibility

I had the XB1 hooked up to a flat panel HD 720 LCD TV and it worked great. I moved it to the basement and hooked it up to a Mitsubishi WS-55515 HD 1080i rear projection TV w/ HDMI input. The XB1 will only output in 480 and the picture is horrible, very dark & grainny. The XB1 will not "auto detect" so I manually set the XB1 to HDMI & 1080 - even tried 720 - but the XB1 reverts back to the horrible 480. Ive been thru the set up menu for the TV & XB1 with no resolve. I ran the DirecTV thru the HDMI input to verify the TV's HDMI input was ok. I switched the HDMI cable to rule out a bad cable. I am a A / V tech so I have an idea as to what Im doing. Ive set up several XB1's but never to an older HD TV. This TV is from the early 2000's.

My thoughts are the XB1 cannot "communicate" with the older TV like it does with the newer flat panels so it reverts to the 480 resolution. I dont get why the 480 picture is so bad. There is also a cable feed to the TV and its 480, it looks fine...for 480 anyway.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.....Todd 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 18 Applies to:
Answer

Ive determined Im dealing with a couple goofy circumstances. 1st the TV is only capable of 480i, 480p & 1080i and not 720p. Why not 720p, a shortcoming of the early 2000 TV. 2nd the XB1 will not output 1080i only 480p, 720p & 1080p. This makes the XB1 & TV incompatible for High Def. This we have already covered earlier in the thread. Its not an HDMI version issue, merely an HD compatibility issue. This was all fairly easy to figure out. What stumped me was the unusable 480p picture.

Not sure why but there is a difference between the XB1 setting "HDMI 480p" & "auto detect 480p". I had the XB1 set on "HDMI 480p" and the picture was unusable. When I set it back to "auto detect" it set itself to 480p and the picture is now very acceptable, not HD but acceptable.

Thanks again for the input.  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.