TV app keeps crashing? Kinect IR blaster stops working? Post your findings/fix here.

The purpose of this post is to help Microsoft do what they should have before releasing the system.

I've owned XboxOne for 4 days now and I've had to power-cycle the thing around 5-6 times already to address a frequently unresponsive Kinect IR blaster. Upon further investigation I think I've come to the conclusion that the source of my Kinect IR blaster issues stem from the TV app crashing/locking up in classic Windows fashion. In the majority of cases, this occurs after "extended" (extended being very vague) periods of the system being in sleep mode. The symptoms are as follows:

1. When powering on/off the system from sleep, the Kinect IR blaster fails to blast power on/off commands to the configured devices, mine being the TV, A/V receiver and set-top-box. I then have to manually power on each device myself.
  2. Attempting to open Settings > TV & OneGuide shows you an all black screen with a white TV icon in the center instead of taking you to the actual settings. After a short amount of time (maybe a minute or two) an error message is displayed with something along the lines of the TV app not responding. Unplugging and plugging the Kinect while powered on doesn't resolve this as the system seems to need to be initially booted with the Kinect connected (doesn't seem to be plug and play.) To address this issue, I've only found that either pulling the power on the Xbox One or holding the power on the system to fully shutdown and doing a cold boot fixes (temporarily, until the next crash during sleep) the problem.
The time I have to wait with the system sleeping for this to occur is still unclear. I usually power off at night and it's off until I get home from work the next day at which point, sometimes the IR blaster works, but often times it doesn't. I've also tried sleeping and waking the system numerous times in repeated succession and it seems to work fine. It's after an unknown extended amount of time that the symptoms show up.
Anyone experiencing the same or similar? Please detail here to help Microsoft fix this.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 23 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I had the exact same problem this morning. No TV pass through. No IR blaster. First time since I got my Day One Edition. I'm glad I found this post, 'cause I thought it was just broken. Pulling the power plug did solve the problem. I hadn't thought of that. But it will be a pain if I have to do that every couple of weeks.

Please fix this, Microsoft.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have same issue.  To fix, I do a hard reset and then reboot by holding both power and disc eject button simaltaneously.   I have since turned off the xbox ir blaster on/off features for my receiver, cable box, and TV.

I hope this is just a SW issue and not HW.  I'm concerned that more people havent had this issue or aren't reporting it.  

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried a different HDMI Cable and it fixed the TV issues I was having, Then if you press the Power Button for about 5 seconds it makes a clean reboot that clears the cache.  I did that one time after the first setup and have had no problems since.  I think after large downloads and such its a good idea to do a system reset.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've already cleared the cache in attempt to find the problem with support online. We tried a few "Xbox on" and "Xbox turn off" commands with maybe 3 minutes tops in sleep and it worked fine. The support tech concluded the problem was resolved. The next day, after sleeping for a few hours, the same exact thing happened. I can confirm clearing the cache doesn't help. However, I will try changing the HDMI cable and use the included one, though I see no relation it has to the problem. Won't rule anything out, however.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had this issue occure as well, the TV app within the XBox One appears to get corrupted some how, and no longer will start/run.  The IR Blaster for turning the TV and cable box etc.. appear to run through this TV App so once it is locked up (corrupted?) it stops turning the TV on or OFF off when the XBOX is turn on and off.  The resolution from MS support has been a reset to factory defaults.  I have had MS walk me through this twice. (so they have a record of the issue.)    was told:

MS REP: Yes, that is one of the few updates that we are trying to work on with our recently released XBOX One.

MS REP: It is a good thing that you have chatted with us today so we can save this info/request and we'll keep a note on the best option for you.

MS REP: Thus, this should not happen again.

ME: meaning there is an update that I should get so that it doesnt happen again or somehow it just shouldn't happen again?

MS REP: Thank you so much for staying with me, as I able to write a report on your issue.

MS REP: This will be escalated further and be reviewed so we can do something on our end.

MS REP: There should be lots of updates to make sure you will enjoy your XBOX One experience for lifetime, Howard.

Kind of a vague response, that I didnt have the patience to push any further for little to no result.  So we should expect "lots of updates"  

In the mean time, I guess we reset our xbox regulary, redownload our account and content each time, and hope for the best.  

I sure hope they take care of us beta testers that paid full retail to test this stuff for them!

H

Sorry this didn't help.

i have had the same problem , I got a replacement X box one and still does the same thing. so it wasnt the input hdmi port.

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately I have been having the same issue as the rest of you guys. I don't feel that doing a factory reset on your machine is necessary. Too much work to have to reinstall all your games plus you lose your single player data. Hard resetting is the way to go for now until the fix this stupid problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this problem start on Saturday.  I didn't turn my XBox off, I accidentally turned the TV off and left the house.  My girlfriend came home and wanted to watch TV and had the stuttering then to black on the TV.  She called me and eventually we FaceTimed and I could see it was something definitely wrong with my XBox.  When I got home, the TV app had basically stopped working, so I literally unplugged everything, even the TV.  It started working again and I watched the rest of the night.  So Sunday night, I did the same thing again, didn't power off the XBox, just turned off the TV, and same problem happened Monday night when I got home.  I called XBox help and they had me do a hard reset, erase my profile, then re-link my profile.  Luckily that worked.  So I have been powering down the machine all week (XBox Turn Off), and have had no problems.  Would be a pain to have to erase my profile and the redo it everytime this happens, but at least its a solution for now.  Making sure to power down the XBox is the main solution, but if I forget again, will have to do that.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have to do hard reset almost every day.   Hold power button for 5 seconds until it turns off.  Pretty much wrecks the voice on feature.   I love the voice on feature when it works though.

Sorry this didn't help.

Mine was fine until the update on the 10th. Since then, i have the sound stutter on startup or the tv blank.  With tv issue, hard reset corrects and it is fine for the rest of the day.  With the sound stutter, i just go into settings/sound and back out. Clears it up.  Never had either issue until the latest update occurred.

Sorry this didn't help.