Turtle Beach X31 setup with Xbox 360 Slim

Can someone please give me an idiots guide on how to get these to work with my console and what additional leads etc I need that may not have been included in the box. I have no fancy surround sound home cinema setup or anything, just my console connected to my tv via HDMI and I want to be able to play till late without disturbing others.

I naively assumed I would just connect the transmitter to my console via HDMI and then the other lead from the transmitter to my telly. Pair up the headset with the transmitter and away we go. But no! And now I'm stressed with it all! Help!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 102 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="Skagbagger"]

Can someone please give me an idiots guide on how to get these to work with my console and what additional leads etc I need that may not have been included in the box. I have no fancy surround sound home cinema setup or anything, just my console connected to my tv via HDMI and I want to be able to play till late without disturbing others.

I naively assumed I would just connect the transmitter to my console via HDMI and then the other lead from the transmitter to my telly. Pair up the headset with the transmitter and away we go. But no! And now I'm stressed with it all! Help!

[/quote]

The easy way would be to use the normal cable that came with the XBox as it has an optical output, which will go to the turtle beach. If you still want to use a HDMI cable, you have three options:

1. Pray that your TV has an optical output port.

2. Remove the plastic bit on the normal cable (the one
 you get with the xbox), that way, you can plug in the HDMI cable and have the otpical output.

3. Buy a HDMI adapter with the audio plugs. Link 
Although you might want to get an official one which will guarantee no problems, connectivity wise. (As some members had problems when using a third part one). 

If you dont already have one you'll need an xbox 360 optical audio cable that plugs into the back of you xbox and you plug you headset into that to get the sound. Hope that helps.

Just google it and you'll see what i mean :)

This is the cable you need to use.

3. Buy a HDMI adapter with the audio plugs. Link 

One of them you'll need, I got mine from Game so you could always ask there if they have them. (Thats if you live near one)

Thanks all. I think I'm starting to suss it out a little better. I will get one of them HDMI AV Cable + Optical RCA Adaptors but won't I still need a wire(s) to run from the red & white ports in that to the red & white ports of the piggyback things on the wire connected to the headset's transmitter. (My headset is the wireless one so I won't be "hardwiring" it.)

Just had a thought. What if I could get hold of a Composite AV cable that does not have the big chunk of plastic on it that prevents both it and an HDMI cable being inserted at the same time? ie. if I could get a composite cable from a console pre-Slim version console? Would that work? If I've understood what you've all said so far, this would work wouldn't it?

Thanks all. I think I'm starting to suss it out a little better. I will get one of them HDMI AV Cable + Optical RCA Adaptors but won't I still need a wire(s) to run from the red & white ports in that to the red & white ports of the piggyback things on the wire connected to the headset's transmitter. (My headset is the wireless one so I won't be "hardwiring" it.)

[/quote]

You won't need to use the Red and white cables as you will use the Optical cable. They are different types of audio cable.

Sorry, back to being confused then. What optical cable? It does not mention an optical cable at all in the instructions.

Here's a link for the actual set I have got. If you look at the second picture detailing the setup, it says nothing about an optical cable and, as far as I can see, the stumbling block for me is that the composite AV cable I have won't fit in my console at the same time as my HDMI cable cos of a big lip of plastic MS conveniently put there to stop you using none MS products!

www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=pd_sim_ce_2

Sorry, back to being confused then. What optical cable? It does not mention an optical cable at all in the instructions.

Here's a link for the actual set I have got. If you look at the second picture detailing the setup, it says nothing about an optical cable and, as far as I can see, the stumbling block for me is that the composite AV cable I have won't fit in my console at the same time as my HDMI cable cos of a big lip of plastic MS conveniently put there to stop you using none MS products!

www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=pd_sim_ce_2

[/quote]

Ahh, so your turtle beach doesn't have an Optical audio port?

In that case you'll have to use the Red and Yellow cable, so you need to get the adapter anyway, which I linked in my first post. Don't buy the optical cable, as it won't be of  any use to you, just get the adapter.

But then won't I still have the problem I queried in my post at 06:55pm? About needing a wire to connect the adaptor and the piggyback thingys?