Turn off after period of inactivity

Hi, I have set my XboxOne to turn off after a period of inactivity. My TiVo turns itself off after 4 hours of inactivity, for my TV and Surround Sound I set these to sleep when I'm off to sleep. I expect in the morning to see the XboxOne and Kinect lights to be off, but they aren't. Should they? Or do they stay on and in 'listening' mode for the "Xbox On" command? Thanks

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3,818 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

If you set the xbox to turn off after 1 hour or 6 hours the lights should be off

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks, I thought so. Just checked and I have it set to turn off after 1 hour of inactivity... I'll see what happens tomorrow although I expect to see that the lights are still on........ not really sure what to do then?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK so the console was still on this morning... something has to be 'keeping it awake'?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem. I've tried setting it to 1 hour and 6 hours and when I wake up my xbox is still on. I'm trying to find some info on how to fix this if you find out anything post it here and i'll do the same

Sorry this didn't help.

Glad to hear it's not just me! :)

And yes will do. The only thing I can think of at the moment is that Kinect is recognising movement/sounds and it's keeping the console awake? The only time the console has been off since last Friday is when I've physically turned it off... be good for the inactivity shut off to start working

Sorry this didn't help.

The Ambassador I chatted with had me do this:

1. Hold the Xbox logo on the console for 10 sec

2. Press the xbox logo once to turn the xbox back on. This cleared the cache  

3. Go back to setting and change it to 1 hour if not already and see if that works.

If that doesn't work try changing the power mode to energy savings and see. I don't know if this will actually work but thats what they told me to try. Worth a shot to see if that fixes the problem. I have shut down my xbox several times since friday but I would like to wake up in the morning and see my xbox turned off. The ambassador also said if this didn't work to came back and tell support that we already cleared cache and tried both power modes. Hope this works for both of us and anyone else who has this problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been in contact with Xbox Support and they are suggesting that running the TV app in full screen is making the XboxOne consider that activity and therefore it'll never turn off... despite whether it's actually receiving a signal or not (my TiVo shuts itself off after 4 hours). Doesn't seem much use for an entertainment centre to never turn itself off when you're using the TV app even if no TV signal is being received. It should really look for button presses or if the controller hasn't been connected for a period of time then it's likely the XboxOne could shut itself down. I might try tonight putting the XboxOne to Home and switching to another source to see whether it's off by morning. If it is then it's unlikely I'll be using the Xbox to watch TV anymore.

Sorry this didn't help.

If you are running TV via Xbox, or any activity, it will not turn off. Activity is anything that makes the console "work". If it just based timeout decisions on button presses etc, your console would turn off in the middle of a movie or something - since you wouldn't normally be pressing buttons during that period.

It is much the same as setting a PC to do certain things or shut-down during inactivity - in many cases it never will trigger the action for inactivity because a computer is almost always doing "something" even if its just you AV scanning things etc.

It needs to have zero activity against the drive or processor pretty much to be considered idle ... if anything happens during that time, the idle counter resets and starts over.

It's a nice addition, but unless you are not using the console for TV and have the kinect disconnected, it will most likely only shut off in rare cases.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm usually watching Netflix or Xbox video before I go to sleep. I used the same setting for the 360 and it worked fine. I can understand watching the tv app and it not shutting down unless you set your tv to shut off and then the xbox should be able to detect no signal coming in but when your watching netflix or xbox video once the movie or tv show your watching ends and the xbox sits idle on that screen for an hour that to me is considered inactive. If you have a game paused or at the main menu and it stays on that screen without any change for 1 hour that to me is considered inactive.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well Xbox support have asked questions about which options I have selected, whether Kinect may still be recognising activity from the camera/hearing sounds etc, and have asked that I change from 1 hour of inactivity to 6 hours... not that I'm expecting for it to do anything, but I'm making the change tonight; although I still expect that in the morning the Xbox will still be on.

Sorry this didn't help.