Trying to connect to xbox live in Mexico with an American Xbox 360

I'm American, vacationing in Mexico for 5 days, and I brought my 360 just to play a couple of hours a night before bed and to watch netflix (the resort has free wifi). I get the code for the resort's wifi and connect the xbox. I test the network, and it tells me that it can indeed connect to the internet, but not to xbox live. I tried the troubleshooting tips wtithout success up until reaching the ones related to restarting your router. I obviously can't do this because it's not my router, but the resort's. My questions are as follows:

-is this likely a problem using an emerican made xbox 360 to connect to xbox live in mexico (should that even matter?) or a problem with the resort's wifi (firewalls or the ISP being incompatible)?

-What questions, if any, would be useful to ask the resort staff, if possible?

Thank you in advance for any who can help me resolve this issue and get connected to xbox live a.s.a.p.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 74 Applies to:

It is most likely a problem with the router on the resort you're staying, I live in tijuana and bought my 360 on USA and havent had internet  issues not problems while conecting to xbox live

using an american made 360 in Mexico should not be the problem.

you can try and ask the staff if they have some firewalls or something like that, see if they can help you

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You can ask their IT staff if they have the ability to open ports on their network. Hotels are synonymous for blocking ports for high traffic activities as they have to do load balancing for every other customer on their network as well.

Try to ask them if they have UPnP enabled on their equipment or the ability to enable it as well as the ability to open ports for your XBOX's specific IP connected to the hotel internet (now this might change since the IP address is going to be changing everytime the WiFi renews or you switch off the XBOX if they are setup how most generic hotels setup their internet connections)

Port 88 (UDP)
Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
Port 80 (TCP)

Hope that helps. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you both, I'll keep this in mind if I ever try to connect to xbox live in a hotel again.

Sorry this didn't help.