Trouble logging on to Live to get Upgrades

I have a XBOX 360 Elite.  It is brand new out of the box and is missing the 120GB HDD.  It appears to be running the older dashboard.  I connected it as per the quick reference guide and the hard ethernet cable.  It automatically picked up the internet settings.  when i do the check for connection to x-box live it indicated good to the internet connection and the screen comes up that upgrades are available.  When I click yes to download it says it cannot download.  Please help. It is a christmas present that I'm trying to get working for my son to play minecraft

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Without a hard drive or a storage device an update can't be downloaded. Although they are not as fast as a hard drive, you can use an off-the-shelf USB flash memory drive as a Memory Unit for storage as per http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/accessories/usb-flash-drive

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

As long as you have access to the internet on your PC, you can use this link.

Just follow the instructions and you can install the update onto a USB or burn it onto a CD/DVD. 

Then boot the console from that device!  Problem solved (hopefully)?

BTW, you don't need to buy a Microsoft licensed USB drive - any brand will work.

As for the missing hard drive, take it back to the seller.  If it is brand new from Microsoft, it should come with the drive.

The only reason it would be missing the hard drive is if it is refurbished or from a third party/used seller (like GameStop).

Sorry this didn't help.

GameStop/EB Games would most likely be the only retailers that would still carry the older models.

Sorry this didn't help.