Trouble Connecting

Tonight me and my brother tried play Halo for the first time since he has moved into his new apartment.  It turns out that he has a Moderate NAT type and we can't connect to each other.  My NAT is set to Open and it was my understanding that an Open NAT would be able to connect to a Moderate NAT with little problem.  But that is not the case.  Unfortunately, it is not likely that he will be able to reconfigure his network settings because he is using his buildings Router/Modem, which he doesn't have access to.  Is there anything that we can do without having access to the Router/Modem?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Greetings Killy!
[quote user="vKILLZ0NEv"] My NAT is set to Open and it was my understanding that an Open NAT would be able to connect to a Moderate NAT with little problem.[/quote]This would only be true in the best of worlds. NAT traversal behaves differently because NAT behavior is not standardized.

[quote user="vKILLZ0NEv"]Unfortunately, it is not likely that he will be able to reconfigure his network settings because he is using his buildings Router/Modem, which he doesn't have access to. Is there anything that we can do without having access to the Router/Modem?[/quote]Unfortunately not. He need to talk with the person who administers the nework equipment in his building.

Make sure your brother has his xbox's network settings set to obtain IP address and DNS automatic.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

We tried using the Xbox Live NAT Error Solution tool but it didn't help any.  Is there anything else that we can do?  My brother is a little mad because he got XBL just so we could play.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Zone,

Sorry to hear about the NAT troubles. There are some troubleshooting steps you will be able to do without accessing the network device. 

I would suggest checking out our Xbox Live NAT Error Solution tool. That will walk you through the proper steps. 

Let us know how that goes, or if you have anymore questions.  

Sorry this didn't help.