Trouble connecting to xbox via laptop

Ok first up sorry for posting on a topic that I imagine has come up before but none of the threads I've read have covered the issues that I'm experiencing.

Basically initially I tried the whole connect xbox to an xp laptop via an ethernet cable and bridge the connection method, if I do this then the xbox says it cannot obtain an ip address. The advice I read on this was based around either selectin g the wireless network and allowing other networks to connect to the internet through it (which there is no option to do if the bridge has been set up and it will not allow me to create the bridge if I tick this option in advance) the other one appeared to be from locating information from the run-cmd-ipconfig/all and puting it into the xbox mac adress manually but this did nothing to fix the error.

I found that if I just connected the ethernet cable and didnt bridge the connection then the xobx was able to get to the second stage in the test xbox live connection, but it then comes up with the error "DNS Server cannot resolve the names of the xbox live servers". The solutions I read for this revolved around either getting and entering dns figures manually one again through the run-cmd-ipconfig/all method but this doesn't work as I have no dns numbers listed in there at all . Someone also mentioned entering the default xbox dns numbers manually or something similar I can't remember the specifics.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 47 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Please look at one or both of these guides for help on this set-up:-

support.microsoft.com/.../978618

www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/xbox-ics-bridging-guide

Thanks

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Bridging still presents the same ip error in the test xbox-live and  internet connection sharing never got past step 7 because I couldn't connect to the internet and had my only wireless network set as sharing which the articly doesn't mention anything about. Something I did notice is that I cannot connect to the internet as long as I have a local area connection enabled on my laptop. If I disable  it I can connect it but if I enable it again I can't browse the web even though internet status says that I am connected.

Has been confusing me as I had it working fine through a bridged connection a week ago at uni before moving back home where the issue has started.

Sorry this didn't help.

Try the second link, also do you have a software firewall on your laptop? Mcafee/Norton/Zonealarm/ESET etc etc, or a firewall that is part of a Anti-virus package

Sorry this didn't help.

Nope no luck, sharing connection I still get stuck at the DNS error and although I've looked in ipconfig I don't seem to have a dns number on the laptop or a default gateway number . Don't have anything in the way of security software and firewall is off. Bridging I follow the instructions but the solution for getting internet to work while bridged doesn't work and I get an error in the test "cannot connect using a static ip adress". 

As I say a few weeks ago when I plugged the xbox into the laptop it was as simple as bridging the connection and connecting. No idea what could have changed since then.

Sorry this didn't help.

If ICS is failing as well it does sound like something (usually a firewall) is blocking it, or its just set-up wrong.

So... go back to Bridging for now, turn off ICS, reboot the laptop, set-up bridging again. And post up the exact make/model of router your using. Also make sure there is nothing in the PPPoE section of your Xbox network settings.

Sorry this didn't help.

Nothing in PPPoE section. The router firewall is on at the moment but we've never been able to turn that off without loosing internet so I'm not going to touch that. Router model is a Belkin: f5d8633

Sorry this didn't help.

Belkin's can be troublesome, try setting it up like this:- www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/.../62-my-nat-is-strict-or-moderate

Sorry this didn't help.

Afraid that hasn't helped as I seem unable to alter dmz through the router settings. I click on the dmz tab and the router just turns off, no explanation or anything. About the only other new development is that I notice that while I'm doing the connect to xbox live test an error message appears on the laptop saying that there is an IP address conflict.

Sorry this didn't help.

If you laptop ip address is set to "Obtain an ip address automatically" its unlikely that there is a real ip address conflict if you've followed those instructions for giving the Xbox a static ip address, I've seen that message before and its ok to ignore it if there is no real conflict. If your router turns off when setting a DMZ well that sounds like a router or firmware fault to me, you should be able to set that. Are you using the latest firmware? www.belkin.com/.../article

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok well that solved the dmz issue. I'm now also actually able to get past the connect to network stage of the test but the moment it tries to get onto the internet it's back to the old dns can't resolve the names of xbox live servers error so in effectively back where I got stuck with the shared connection.

Sorry this didn't help.