Trouble connecting to "Games for Windows Live" while in the game.

I bought "Dark Souls" on Steam.  When I am at home and I start the game I don't have any trouble logging in to "Games for Windows Live" from the menu that launches inside the game.  However when I'm not at home (frequent business trips and such) I teather my laptop to my phone to get internet.  It's fast enough to play COD and other first person shooters with very little lag.  But for whatever reason it won't connect to windows live.  I thought I would work around this by downloading the "Games for Windows Live(Marketplace?)" program and log in to that.  Had no problem logging in but once I load up the game I'm not logged in on the menu in the game.  I guess they are not connected? 

So why can't I connect in the game?  My internet connection should be plenty fast enough if I can stream HD movies or play FPS with no lag.

Is there a work-around to get logged in?

Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 60 Applies to:

Hello

If you can’t sign in to Games for Windows Marketplace or a Games for Windows game, try the following solutions.

Solution 1: Sign in to Windows LIVE

Go to Windows Live and make sure you can sign in using your Windows Live ID. If you can’t sign in to Windows Live, clickHelp Center at the bottom of the Windows Live sign-in page for help.

Solution 2: Check the Xbox LIVE service status

Make sure the Xbox LIVE service is up and running.

Solution 3: Is Games for Windows LIVE available in your region?

Make sure the Xbox LIVE service is supported in your region or country; see Xbox LIVE Countries and Regions.

Solution 4: Install the latest version of the Games for Windows Marketplace software

Go to Game for Windows Marketplace and click Download.

Solution 5: Provide your product key

You may be prompted to provide a product key for a game that you have purchased. To find your product key, follow these steps:

1. Sign in to the Games for Windows Marketplace client.
  2. Click Downloads.
  3. Under All Downloads, click the game for which you need the product key.
  4. Click View Game Keys.

Your product key is listed under Game Activation Key or LIVE Access Code.

Solution 6: Make sure your network hardware is compatible with Games for Windows

Routers, gateways, and bridges marked with Compatible with Windows 7Works with Windows Vista, or Certified for Windows Vista logos are compatible with Xbox LIVE.

To see if your hardware and its internal software (referred to as "firmware") are compatible with Xbox LIVE, see our Xbox LIVE compatible hardware list

Solution 7: Turn on Universal Plug and Play

Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is a standard that helps routers communicate effectively. If your router or gateway supports UPnP, make sure this setting is turned on.

1. Log on to your router's web-based configuration page and make sure UPnP is turned on. Refer to your router's documentation or support website for help turning on UPnP.
  2. If you change the UPnP setting, restart all network hardware (your modem and router) before using the Games for Windows software.

Note If you're connected to a network through your workplace or school, ask your network administrator for help with UPnP.

Solution 8: Open the network ports

If you have a firewall or network hardware, such as a router, you might need to make a configuration change in order for your computer to communicate with Xbox LIVE. This configuration change is sometimes called “opening ports” or "port forwarding".

• The following ports need to be opened to play Games for Windows LIVE games:
    • TCP 88 (UDP)
    • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
    • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
    • Port 80 (TCP)
  • See Network ports used by Xbox LIVE for information and help with opening ports.
Solution 9: Allow Games for Windows LIVE through your firewall

Warning This workaround may make a computer or a network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We do not recommend this workaround, but we are providing this information so that you can implement the workaround at your own discretion. Use this workaround at your own risk.

You may have to configure an exception in your firewall, proxy, or Internet Security software to allow Games for Windows LIVE (GFWLClient.exe) to work. If you are using the Windows Firewall, the latest Games for Windows LIVE software gives you the option of adding the software to your exceptions list. Otherwise, refer to your firewall’s documentation, or contact the network administrator or technical support for help.

Solution 10: Install Windows updates

Use Windows Update to make sure you have the latest Windows software updates and drivers installed.

Learn how to update Windows

Solution 11: Contact your Internet service provider

If the solutions on this page have not helped you resolve the problem, please contact your Internet service provider for help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello.

I feel like you did not read my post.  The first thing you said was "If you can’t sign in to Games for Windows Marketplace or a Games for Windows game, try the following solutions."  However I said that I CAN sign in to games for windows market place.  Until about 5 mins ago I had no problem signing in to windows live while in the game while I at home.  It was only when I was away and tethered my laptop to my phone for internet that I was not able to log in to windows live but still able to log into Games for Windows marketplace.  

New development.  I just got home where I normally have no problem playing or logging in to anything.  However now I can't log in to Windows live while in the game again.  Everywhere else I can.  I tried this page while I was tethered to see if that would let me log in.  support.microsoft.com/.../935310

But I didn't think I changed anything.  Any any rate.  Can't log in under any conditions now when I was just able to yesterday.

Sorry this didn't help.

What version of Windows are you running? When trying to sign in through the game screen, does it give you a specific error or status code, or just it just show your gamertag with (offline) next to it?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am using windows 7.

When the game starts up it logs me in as (offline).  When I hit "home" and then connect it tries for a bit and the says "The LIVE service may be unavailable, or there may be an issue with your home networking equipment or firewall.  To check LIVE service status, go to www.xbox.com/support."

This only happens when I tether my phone for internet.  No problems at home now.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ihateyouf3825!
Since this part of the Forums is solely related to the Xbox 360 console, try address your issue here instead: Games for Windows - Connection / Networking 

Good luck! 

Sorry this didn't help.