Trouble Bridging Connection

So I've tried a hundred different methods to bridge my Xbox to my Mac. Internet Sharing from Airport to Ethernet is enabled, and I've tried things such as using the inet++ as the IP and the inet itself as the gateway. I've tried using my Airport's DNS settings. I've tried using my router and computer's IP as the DNS settings. I've tried using public DNS sources like openDNS and google's DNS addresses. I've also tried giving ethernet its own IP address in my computer's preferences and then using that was the gateway and that +1 as the IP address for the Xbox. And so on and so forth.

I've followed a dozen tutorials, but my Xbox is never able to resolve the MS servers and connect to the internet (it can only establish a connection to the network).

Question Info

Last updated October 4, 2018 Views 33 Applies to:

Scroll down to the bottom of this link:

forums.xbox.com/.../31699.aspx

I believe Miss Portia from Support may answer your question.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Whether or not Microsoft officially supports it is irrelevant (because Microsoft would never officially say they support Mac), but the point is, that it should not matter what OS you have, because the Xbox only knows what it receives through the Ethernet cord, which is not "Hey, I'm a Mac."

I think that support officer may have been indicating that the Support team will not help you establish a working connection, but this should be something easily obtainable, I should just be using incorrect settings.

The most common settings I've seen and tried are:

Xbox Side:

IP: 192.168.2.2

SubN: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.2.1

And the DNS settings are a mess. Some say to get the DNS settings that your Airport uses (which for me, are very specific and exclusive numbers), others say just use the router 192.168.1.1, some say get the actual IP for your computer and use that, and some say to use the gateway (192.168.2.1). And still others recommend public DNS sources like Google.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not familiar with your setup and I know you state you have tried many tutorials, but take a look at this one:

www.ofzenandcomputing.com/.../358

It seems pretty straight forward.  I'm not sure of your technical level but if any part is confusing, let us know and we can talk you through it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmmm... I just realized that I wasn't sure of the kind of cable I was using, but upon checking my cable, it is in fact a cat 5 cable, so that shouldn't be a problem.

But as for the tutorial, I have seen this one before, but because at the moment I'm attempting to try internet sharing to another computer first (as that is easier for messing around with than the Xbox), I thought I'd give it another shot.

The IP address that I'm given through ifconfig is strange, random, and different from before. The inet listing before was 192.168.2.1 but it is now listed as "inet 169.254.249.38 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 169.254.255.255"

I thought that perhaps I was getting the listing of the self-assigned ethernet IP, because that's what I'm being self-assigned, so I disabled the ethernet, only to get the same result.

In all of this, I am still unsure of what local settings to use. On my Mac, it self-assigns itself a random IP and will let you know that it cannot be used to connect to the internet. If I connect to another computer it will automatically choose the settings I listed earlier as the ethernet settings, and say that it is able to connect to the internet, however, it is not. I can manually choose settings for this Mac, and then get a green light indicating that I can connect to the internet using those settings, but I really don't know if that is what I want.

Should I leave this mac's settings as "chosen by DHCP," which means an irrelevant, self-assigned IP and a mask of 255.255.0.0, or change them?

Sorry this didn't help.

For troubleshooting and testing purposes it is always easier to manually assign IP addresses.  At the moment we do not know where the DHCP server is grabbing the information from to assign. What is the exact model of your AIrport and I'll research the GUI for it in order to help you find resolution.

Sorry this didn't help.

Another suggestion I found, obtain the MAC address from your XBOX and see if you can add it to the AIRPORT to allow the connection to go through.  I'm not sure where you do this on the AIRPORT but if it is blocking anything it could be this.

Sorry this didn't help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7B1K5oVgKE

This video does a great job walking you through what you need to do if you have the Airport Express.  I can tell a major difference from this video and the guides I read before. From a networking standpoint it defies how I would have thought it needed to be setup.  On my laptop, the video was a bit blurry but I could follow enough to set it up. 

I know you have tried many things but if this video doesn't help you, then you may have a hardware issue to my best guess.

Sorry this didn't help.