Tried to transfer save files from one Xbox 360 to another with a USB - except the USB unformatted itself! How do I recover my data?

I have previously used this 32GB USB stick to transfer save files in between xboxes with no problems. I also use the USB to hold files for my PC. It had some PC files on it when I plugged it into my xbox, so I formatted it to be able to be used for xbox. I then transferred my save files and my user profile to it. It completed the transfer and everything looked like it was fine. I'm pretty sure that I didn't take my usb out of the xbox until it was done transferring content.

However, when I plugged the USB into the different xbox, it did not appear in the list of storage devices. Confused, I tried plugging my USB into my PC (an apple macbook, in case it matters). My USB had all of the old files on it that I thought would have been deleted in the xbox reformat, plus an extra folder titled "Content", that had a bunch of folders inside, plus files with the titles of my save files, that looked like this: http://i.imgur.com/Yf0JJpB.png

I copied the files from my USB to my Mac, including the "Content" folder, then cleared everything on the USB and put it back in my xbox to format it again. But I think this was a mistake, because now I can't copy "Content" back onto the USB, because I get the error message "The item 'Content' can't be replaced because it's invisible."

Is there any way for me to recover my data? I can SEE it on my computer, so I know where it IS. It's just a matter of getting it back to my xbox.

Thanks in advance for the help...! I'm really hoping I don't have to start Mass Effect from scratch again! :(

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:
Answer

Sorry to hear it.  There are two issues here.

1.  Sometimes flashdrives get corrupted and no longer work properly.  Because of this you should only copy files over and never move them just to be on the safe side as if a drive fails there is no way to recover them.

2.  When you plugged your drive into your computer and moved the files over you permanently altered the files.  This is because Xbox files cannot be read by the pc and when you do this the pc automatically puts them into a readable format.  As such, even if you were able to recover those specific files back to the Xbox the console will no longer be able to read them.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.