Tried everything. Something wrong w/ my setup? Do I need a static IP address?

I've been trying to play online for the longest time. My xbox is fine with downloads and other online applications but I cannot play online. It always logs me out, lags out, or disconnects. I haven't been able to finish any matches. I'm using a Netgear DG834G hooked up to the internet, and running an ethernet cable to a Netgear SF105 switch that hooks our other computer up to online. I have a second ethernet cable running from the SF105 to my xbox.

I forwarded ports 53, 80, 88, 1863 and 3074 on the DG834G. Same problem. Is it the hardware?

Do I need to make a static IP address? If this isn't going to be easy I'll give up and either never play live due to all of the technical crap or shell out more money for microsoft when I get a windows 7 laptop and get a free xbox, then pay more for an actual hard drive for it and stuff.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

You should run the console directly to the router. Do not connect it via the switch. Also go to speedtest.net and run three tests; one close to you , one far from you and one in between. Then post the results here, the download, upload and ping.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.