Trenched

Just wondering if anyone has an idea when this XBLA title will come out over here? I know they've had trouble but it's been weeks now and Im really looking forward to playing it. Thanks.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

They have an intent to use filed. They haven't used it yet (and may never) but they still own the trademark. While it is true they could be making the most of the situation unless they can see the future they wouldn't have known to file the trademark extending to computer games unless it at least crossed their mind that they may wish to look into it.

(Can we stop talking about board games... I keep writing games and realise I have to be more specific... anyway...).

[quote user="gooslaps goop"]

in a nutshell then a guy from portugal says no to uk having it?

[/quote]

It's actually been trademarked in the US as well but more recently. May 2011, rather than 2009 sometime.

in a nutshell then a guy from portugal says no to uk having it?

[quote user="UseYourIlusion"]

Yes it is. Trench and Trenched are very similar names. Both are (at least intended to be) computer games and so potentially occupy the same retail space and are direct competitors. There is a high potential for confusion between the two products.

The main issue at the moment is that while I believe the game exists in a physical sense the computerised version is trademarked with an intent to use which isn't as strong as if they were actually using it. I would assume though that their usage in a physical medium would help their case as it gives them a prior use date.

[/quote]

Actually Trench is a borad game but the copyright extends to cover video games at the moment theres no plans fro Trench the video game.

Then again Mc Munchies and Mc donalds are both in the catering trade the obvious thing being they are both differenc ompanies.

Yes it is. Trench and Trenched are very similar names. Both are (at least intended to be) computer games and so potentially occupy the same retail space and are direct competitors. There is a high potential for confusion between the two products.

The main issue at the moment is that while I believe the game exists in a physical sense the computerised version is trademarked with an intent to use which isn't as strong as if they were actually using it. I would assume though that their usage in a physical medium would help their case as it gives them a prior use date.

[quote user="UseYourIlusion"]

Why are you going on about Copyright infringement? This isn't about copyright, it's about a Trademark infringement, they are not the same thing.

Yes, the similarity of ideas effects the degree to which a similar Trademark can be considered infringing, but that isn't the same as copyright. It is not about copying someone, it's about using a similar representation of a similar product, which can cause confusion.

[/quote]

still its not a similar representation of similar ideas again it like Mc Donalds claiming the trademark Mc

[quote user="Cokney Charmer"]

@ Yourillusion...I use the term Copyright as that was the terminology used by the news article I read about this case, if it was wrong to use it I stand corrected, thanks for the heads up

[/quote]

Sorry, that was more aimed at hobble. I just apparently took a very long time to type it...

lol I dont have to see anything other then the games release has been delayed, the reasons for that have been outlined and till they are resolved we wont get to play the game in Europe.

@ Yourillusion...I use the term Copyright as that was the terminology used by the news article I read about this case, if it was wrong to use it I stand corrected, thanks for the heads up

lmao.....has the games european release been delayed due to a copyright issue...yes.

[/quote]

Actually its due to a disupte over copyright, its only delayed because of the possibility of a ruling going against them and them having to pay out money. Basically the delay is a precausion to stop them potentially losing money.

Is it something the copyright lawyers of the publisher and MS could have forseen and prevented....yes.

[/quote]

Again thats a no as the game has a similar name not the same name and the lawyers believed the concepts were different enough for the game to not have any problems being released theres too many copyrights in too many world wide locations to be able to check every possible area incase theres a copyright. Theres not some grand super library of every copyright ever filed held with an easy to use search option, at best theres probably a search per copyright office to check the patents they have on record.

They failed, game is delayed and will be held up as long as the copyright issue is left unresolved. The fault isnt with the man in Portugal who owns the copyright in question....nope.

[/quote]

The fault is with the person complaining as he's saying Double fine stole his idea.

Now I don't know how I can put it any clearer than this Germans, Russians and English fighting aliens monster in giant robotic mech is not the same as Germans russians and English people fighting one another in a strategic battle game only using weapons from the time. please atleast tell me you can see those are two entirely different concepts there.

Why are you going on about Copyright infringement? This isn't about copyright, it's about a Trademark infringement, they are not the same thing.

Yes, the similarity of ideas effects the degree to which a similar Trademark can be considered infringing, but that isn't the same as copyright. It is not about copying someone, it's about using a similar representation of a similar product, which can cause confusion.

lmao.....has the games european release been delayed due to a copyright issue...yes. Is it something the copyright lawyers of the publisher and MS could have forseen and prevented....yes. They failed, game is delayed and will be held up as long as the copyright issue is left unresolved. The fault isnt with the man in Portugal who owns the copyright in question....nope.