Trenched

Just wondering if anyone has an idea when this XBLA title will come out over here? I know they've had trouble but it's been weeks now and Im really looking forward to playing it. Thanks.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I dont think MS have resolved the copywright dispute over the name with the owner of the trademark in Europe for it.....it will be quite some time unless MS just change the name for the European release

Bugger that. I'd be quicker just getting it form a USA account (Quite a few people I know have done this, actually).

[quote user="Cokney Charmer"]

I dont think MS have resolved the copywright dispute over the name with the owner of the trademark in Europe for it.....it will be quite some time unless MS just change the name for the European release

[/quote]

Actually I hear double Fine are being a problem not MS as Double fine don't want to change the name and want to take it to court as the dispute is of the copyrighting of "trench" for both board and console games and Double fine want to dispute it as its not the full game name thats copyrighted so as its not the specific name they want to claim the copyright doesn't apply.

For a similar case look up Mc Donalds sueing Mc munchies sandwich bar over the use of  Mc

Apparently this is Portugal's fault.

They believe they invented "Trench" and the story behind it.

That's if SentUamessage is to be believed.

Az

Well which ever way you want to look at it, both Double Fine and MS screwed up by not checking the copyright claims of the title outside the US...once again MS is forced to learn that the world doesnt begin and end with America....probably same reason why the UK still and probably wont ever have again...a Community Manager based in the UK

[quote user="Cokney Charmer"]

Well which ever way you want to look at it, both Double Fine and MS screwed up by not checking the copyright claims of the title outside the US...once again MS is forced to learn that the world doesnt begin and end with America....probably same reason why the UK still and probably wont ever have again...a Community Manager based in the UK

[/quote]

its not actually MS's fault or Double Fines as the claim was only filed for the copyright in 2007 for "Trench" and its only "Trench" thats copyrighted not "Trenched" its only this damn company holding the copyright claiming its breaching it despite the names not being the same nor the concept behind the games

Its Mc Donalds Suing Mc Munches sandwich bar all over again except this time MS are on the side of the little guy that is Double fine.

My guess is depending on if they have to debate the copyright in each part of europe or get a blanket ruling it could be out in 3-12 months

if the guy or company that owns the copyright can legally make a claim against this arcade game then yeah....it was down to the laywers to investigate possible problems before release in europe and clearly they dropped the ball. Cant blame the owner of the copywright for enforcing it lol

issue being its claiming copyright because they have copyright for part of the games name. its the equivalent of me comprighting the name "Gears" then claiming "Gears of War" was breaching the copyright. the amount of copyrighted stuff in differen countries its pretty hard to find out if some-one will sue before its too late and you're being sued, the best a lawyer can do really is make sure the story and concepts aren't copyrighted as pressumably double fine owns a copyright for the name "Trenched" but the copy right dispute is over the use of "Trench" in the name so it would be hard for a lawyer to pre-empt this kind of copyright.

Its like using the $ sign in theory Gene Simmons could sue MS for using a symbol he owns the copyright on. With copyrights its a risk you have to run and the best you can hope is no-one files a claim or if some-ones does you can prove your product is clearly different from theirs. The Only similarity other than name is its set in World War 1 / around that time. MS will win the question is how much the company behind trench will push as theres the initial court then possibly an appeal and depending how the work it the company could drag it out and fight it territory by territory which for MS would be a worst case idea.

This isn't about upholding copyrights and stoping people stealing your interlectual property its purely about them trying to get some money.

and fair play to them for doing so, MS and the lawyers behind this arcade title dropped the ball when registering the name of choice.....anyone would do the same, I would. Now its going to take time for the matter to be resolved. Your analogies are intriguing if nothing else

To the best of my knowledge, Double Fine dont have the copyright to Trenched, the Portugeuse guy does. This....is the issue.....