Transferring Over Data to a New Xbox

So I've had an Xbox360 Arcade for going on four years now and I'm just now deciding to upgrade to a Slim very soon. I have a few concerns regarding the data on my external HDD, though.

Which method is most recommended to change over to the Slim once I get it?

-I've of course heard of the transfer kits. I honestly really don't get how they work, nor can I find for sure where to get one from (ones on Amazon I see have low ratings and there's several kinds of them).

-I was thinking of just putting all of my saves and such on the Cloud (not sure how much it can store anyway) and recover them on the new console, then re-download Arcade games and other things via the Marketplace.

-Or I've heard that I can just detach my external HDD and put it on my Slim. This sounds like the simplest and cheapest method, however I don't understand why there are transfer cables and such if people could just do this - why should I/should I not go for this?

So in general I'm looking for information and insight as to what the best method of transferring my saves/data over to my new console once I get it.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hello TheStormPow,

I would suggest the Official Xbox Transfer Cable. Purchase one from the Microsoft Store: www.microsoftstore.com/.../list.true. (Free shipping!)

Here is a tutorial on how to use the transfer cable: support.xbox.com/.../set-up-transfer-cable. Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Jared

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The data transfer cable connects the 2 hard drives and will move everything over all at one time. It's really the easiest way, but be careful if you do purchase one online. Using the wrong cable will mess up your hard drive and you'd have the buy a new one.

The cloud service will hold 512mb. If you need more space you can save your game saves on a USB flash drive and move them over that way.

The hard drives from the older xbox models are not made to be compatible with the new slims. You would have to remove it from it's casing to make it work which is against the terms of use and could get your console banned.

Sorry this didn't help.

Alright, looks like I'll be looking at my HDD sometime tonight and counting up about how many MB of data I would like saved over, though it seems like a transfer cable would be the easiest thing, at least in time-efficiency. I'd just hate to buy it and only use it once. Guess I could eBay it or something when I'm done lol.

But thanks for the insight, everyone.

Sorry this didn't help.