Transferring hard drive and I've got a big problem

I got the 4GB version with kinect after my old 250GB xbox died.  I bought the official microsoft transfer cable and a 16GB flash drive.  I popped out my old hard drive without any trouble, formatted the new thumb drive on the new console, and successfully transferred everything from the old hard drive to the flash drive without any problems.  I have many, many Rock Band songs that moved over.  I even then played some of them on the new console, worked fine.  A few hours later, the new xbox came up with "0 profiles found".  I went to system info and under memory, the only drive recognized was the native 4 GB drive (which was empty).  The flash drive was lit up, so I assumed it was working.  I tried it in other USB slots, nothing.  So, I brought it up to my computer to see what was going on.  When I plug it in to a USB slot on my desktop, it lights up and my computer makes a noise to signal a new device is plugged in; if I'm in the "my computer" screen, the drive letter pops open; however, it then disappears and I hear a noise that makes it sound like the drive's been removed, even though I've not touched it.  I cannot actually open the drive at all, it disappears from the my computer screen before I can click on it.  If I leave it plugged in, it cycles on/off/on/off constantly with the notification noise going each time.  Obviously, this brand new flash drive is toast.  My question is, can someone somewhere pull the data off of it, or am I totally screwed?  It has all my hard drive data...is there any way to recover it???????  Help please......

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Sorry to tell you but once data is lost and the storage device crashes.... Your Screwed.  You should NEVER trust a flash-drive to hold your gamesaves. There is a slight chance that it will fail. You can recover your account to your xbox. And re-download any stuff that you bought (You need the account that you bought the stuff with) the only thing that i can think of that cannot be retrieved is Gamesaves and other local data that is not stored on xbox live database. Sorry dude you got screwed. I would go out and buy an Official 250G HDD by Microsoft. I would not risk another chance at a flash-drive failing

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Obviously this will not help now, but in the future, instead of moving everything across, copy your sensitive date such as game saves. That way you will have a copy on the 4GB console and another copy on your flash drive.

Also you can download all of your DLC back again for free. Go to your download history and download them from there.

Sorry this didn't help.

Statistically speaking a hard drive is much more likely to fail compared to a USB flash drive because of all the moving parts.

I'm afraid the OP has just experienced some very bad luck in his USB drive failing.

Data recovery can be tricky, especially when working with a a closed file system like FATX, which is what the 360 uses. However it might be worth trying one of the many partition recovery softwares out there but be aware, the best don't come cheap.

Sonic also made a good suggestion of copying your saves, I do this with some games. However many titles now lock the Copy function, so you are only able to Move the data.

Sorry this didn't help.