Transferring Data

I got a new Xbox 360 S console and I have a old Xbox 360 Elite (I think it's the Elite) and I want to transfer data. My one question about it though is should I turn the new xbox on and make a new profile THEN transfer all my old stuff? My disc drive went bad in my old one around the time I started playing Army of Two/40th Day/Skyrim. It kept whining real bad and would not pick up and one update from the Skyrim game messed up and had to retry it worked on the second one though. It works every now and then but sometimes it gets to be picky and take forever to pick a disc up at all. I couldn't even play a DVD I knew worked in it at one point.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

I'd appreciate some help on this!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Nope. Simply recover your profile on the new console, you'll need to enter your e-mail and password to complete the process. Once you do that you can either use an Official MS transfer cable to move your content over or you can use a USB flash drive. Then you'll need to perform a license transfer for all your download content. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I have yet to be on Xbox Live a day in my life. My question is do I have to start it up and make a new profile at all just to transfer all my other profiles and saved data. After that then I can sign in with my profile on my main profile and go on Xbox Live cuz of the 1 month gold feature.

Sorry this didn't help.

Nothing is transferable from one account to another. And in order to use the FREE one month of XBL on the console you would need to create a new account on the console (if you do so on the website here you would not get the FREE one month). If you want that account to access any of the other accounts DLC (avatar items and Elite content for Call of Duty excluded) then you would need to perform the abovementioned license transfer. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I been saying I haven't been on Xbox Live at all I got no liscenes to transfer. What I'm wondering is to transfer saved data and profiles from my old Xbox to the new one would I need to start it up first and make a profile then and THEN transfer all that data and then delete it or save it for later. My main profile that I use that has all my achievements unlocked isn't on my new one at all. The new one has yet to even be plugged in. This account I made for the forums is so I could ask questions after that I will sign in on XBL with the e-mail I used for this one as it is the only one I use.  I repeat I do NOT have another XBL account. This deals with stuff on the Xbox itself not a XBL account. I never been on XBL officially a day in my life yet.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Blue! You would not want to make a new profile first, because content cannot be transferred between accounts, and accounts can not be merged - you'd be out your progress and data. Simply move the offline profile and all of it's items to the new console (a Transfer Cable is wonderful for this!), and then promote the offline profile to Xbox LIVE. However - strangely enough, I don't have any content that covers whether or not you would be able to get the free trial with a preexisting local account. I am inclined to say no, as it is not a "new" profile created on that console, but I would certainly encourage you to try it. Just make sure when following the prompts to promote it to LIVE, you choose "Upgrade Later". :) 

Sorry this didn't help.

I got the transfer cable and everything just was rather curious as to weather to start it up at all before I transferred all my save games and profiles over as I got a ton of work on Skyrim and the Halo games I'm not wanting to lose. I don't even truly have a Xbox Live Gold Account so I'm hoping this one lets me use my profile from my old Xbox for it (as the new Xbox 360 S gives you a 1 month free one). I been dying to try Halo with some online players. I'll give it a shot later on and see what happens.

Sorry this didn't help.

I just had a thought would my new Xbox that I only bought a week ago have the latest upgrades to it? I been playing Skyrim on my old one and just thought about how it put a new update on mine and I didn't know if mine would have it or not.

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay I got everything transferred over and I'll be checking if the free XBL account works! Thanks guys! :3

Sorry this didn't help.