Transfering Data to new Xbox

I currently own a slim 250gb console and have pre-ordered the new "gears of war" console, my concern is how will my current data be transferred over to the new hard drive.

The store which I am purchasing it from has said the only way to keep my data will be to buy and external harddrive and transfer it to that, then back to my new harddrive, this seems unacceptable.

I would appreciate any feedback as to the best way to resolve my problem, as I dont wish to cancel my pre order but will be forced to if this is the only way.

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

[quote user="UK McLAREN F1"]

Does anyone know if I would be able to tranfer from my slim to an old style hard drive and then back to my new gears slim using the official transfer cable?

It would be much easier to transfer data to an old style 60GB hard drive, rather than multiple USB saves, plus also from memore the license transfer was done automatically using the transfer cable.

Any advice would be appreciated.

[/quote]

No you cannot transfer from the Slim to the Older style Xbox.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The hard drives are actually swappable; since both the old and new consoles are slim models, you won't need a transfer cable at all (in fact, the transfer cable won't even work; it's designed to transfer data from the old model HDDs, not the slim model ones).

There's a little switch on the bottom of the console (the right side if you're looking at it horizontally) that removes a panel, and behind that is the removable HDD. Just pull the tab and put it will slide right out.

The hard drive swapping is relatively easy; however, for downloaded content to play on the new console you'll need to transfer your licenses, directions for which can be found here: www.xbox.com/.../Home

Having done a license migration before, I can tell you that it's a simple process, albeit a bit tedious. How long it takes will entirely depend on how much DLC you have on your hard drive.

Sorry this didn't help.

Does anyone know if I would be able to tranfer from my slim to an old style hard drive and then back to my new gears slim using the official transfer cable?

It would be much easier to transfer data to an old style 60GB hard drive, rather than multiple USB saves, plus also from memore the license transfer was done automatically using the transfer cable.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.

The Gears of War 3 console comes with a 320GB hard drive, so I doubt he is going to want to just do a straight swap with his old console's hard drive. However you are right that there is no Slim to Slim cable, so it is a long trip of swapping items over to a USB stick and then onto the new console.

You can also now do the license transfer on the console alone. Simply sign-in on the new console with your profile, press the Guide button on the controller and go to the Settings blade. Here pick Account Management and on the very next screen, you will find the License Transfer option.

Simply follow the steps and the job is done far more quickly than involving the website. It even presents a list of the things it thinks you will want to grab again to refresh the license file. Though don't worry about the download, if the content is already on your hard drive then all that will be grabbed is the new license.

Sorry this didn't help.

I only have used 50GB, even still transferring that onto a USB then onto the new console is nothing short of a major joke from Microsoft, surely someone in their marketing department must have scratched their heads and thought....hmmm..hang on this might stop us selling new consoles, what can we do about it....

Obviously not and went and made a coffee instead....such a shame.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ah, thank you for the updated information. My experience seems to be out-of-date.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your reply, this is getting extremely frustrating and I can feel a phone call to Microsoft customer complaints coming shortly.

Microsoft....."Lets sell new hardware to our customers, but it doesnt matter if they will have to delete loads of stuff off their hard drive, then find it all again on marketplace, then spend hours downloading it all over again...and it doesnt matter if we force them to go out and 'HAVE' to buy a £20-£30 third party product (USB stick) just so that they can use their £270 product which they purchased from us, after spending £250 on a new console 12 months ago...."

Rant over.....

Can you please advise if you need to do the Licence Transfer first on the new console or do you upload your original data first from the "newly bought" USB stick to the new console.

Many thanks in advance.

Sorry this didn't help.

The DRM tool at http://www.xbox.com/drm has a final step that pushes a download queue to your new 360. Your new 360 will automatically download all its old content.

The only thing you need to be concerned with is save game files. For that you'll want to use a USB Memory Unit to take the old saves off the existing console and move them over to the new console.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="UK McLAREN F1"]

I only have used 50GB, even still transferring that onto a USB then onto the new console is nothing short of a major joke from Microsoft, surely someone in their marketing department must have scratched their heads and thought....hmmm..hang on this might stop us selling new consoles, what can we do about it....

Obviously not and went and made a coffee instead....such a shame.

[/quote]Just remember that out of that 50Gb of data you have on that hard drive, you do not need to transfer any downloaded content.  You can download them again at any time after the license transfer.

Sorry this didn't help.