Transfer cable

Is there a way to transfer the data from a 120gb drive to a new 250gb xbox without

deleting the data on the old drive?  The old Elite console still works and I just want to set it up in a second room but still be able to use it myself.  The documentation with the transfer cable says it will erase the old hard drive when it transfers data. Is there a way to prevent this?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

[quote user="BobbyT 63"]Is there a way to transfer the data from a 120gb drive to a new 250gb xbox without

deleting the data on the old drive?[/quote]Once connected, cancel all the dialogs, then go to Storage. You'll see a Transfer Cable device listed along with your HDD. Data can be Copied or Moved to and from the Transfer Cable just like any other Storage Device, with the same restrictions. Some game saves cannot be Copied, but can be Moved. Some cannot be Copied or Moved. DLC should be Copyable.[quote]The documentation with the transfer cable says it will erase the old hard drive when it transfers data.[/quote]Originally, the software included on CD would copy the entire source drive wholesale and then format the old drive. The new Transfer software included in the console does a Move of Movable files (games installed from DVD are not Movable). I don't think it formats the source drive, but I could be wrong.

I'm not a fan of Moving content if there's an option to Copy content. It takes longer to manually Copy, but you retain a backup copy on the old drive.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.