transfer cable question

will it work on the 360 S model in order to move stuff over to the gears 3 console?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="LostKauz"]I can understand the Cap issue with an ISP but the Content is going to be need to be DL'd again anyways in the future for the License to properly work and assign it to the new Console[/quote]If you have the content on your HDD already from a transfer, only the License gets downloaded. It's an intelligent process. It won't re-download 1GB files if it doesn't have to.

[quote user="LostKauz"]

[quote user="Mewtwo"]

Believe it or not there are some game files that will not let you copy or move them. You would lose all the game data in those files that cannot be transferred. With the cable it moves everything over.

[/quote]

Don't use the Move or Copy Feature. Use the Transfer feature, it will Transfer all Game Save Data regardless of whether a Developer Locked the Content to the HDD it was written on or not. I know, I've been there. DOA X2 was "locked" to my original 20Gb HDD for a long time until the Transfer Feature was released.

[/quote]

Umm.. That is what i was saying. That the transfer cable option allows you to move everything.

[quote user="Mewtwo"]

Believe it or not there are some game files that will not let you copy or move them. You would lose all the game data in those files that cannot be transferred. With the cable it moves everything over.

[/quote]

Don't use the Move or Copy Feature. Use the Transfer feature, it will Transfer all Game Save Data regardless of whether a Developer Locked the Content to the HDD it was written on or not. I know, I've been there. DOA X2 was "locked" to my original 20Gb HDD for a long time until the Transfer Feature was released.

[quote user="IceStorm III"]

[quote user="LostKauz"]If I can ask. Why doesn't anyone just use a USB Flash Drive to Transfer their Game Save File Data and simply DL all their Content again from the Marketplace?[/quote]Believe it or not, there are people with 98GB of DLC on their HDDs. On Comcast, that's 40% of a person's monthly download cap. And let's not get started about the pittiful limits the Aussies have...

[/quote]

I can understand the Cap issue with an ISP but the Content is going to be need to be DL'd again anyways in the future for the License to properly work and assign it to the new Console. There is no need to do it all at once (trust me, I know I have over 770 Items at 200+Gb worth of DLC and it took forever), just do a few a day, week or month (whatever fits your need).

When you use the disc, It looks new, but it isn't. It's just using the new style interface for the dialogs.

If you attach a HDD over the cable without the disc you get a completely different set of dialogs, including one that offers to let you pick and choose what is transferred. You can also cancel the process entirely and then access the drive via System Settings, Memory. It shows up as a Transfer Cable device.

[/quote]

Odd. When I first used the disc it actually took me to the same setup without it. Including which direction I wanted to move the content and which stuff I wanted to move as an option (or all).

Well either way I suppose even if you do get the old setup it still moves everything. So does the new setup. And that is the bottom line.

When you use the disc, It looks new, but it isn't. It's just using the new style interface for the dialogs.

If you attach a HDD over the cable without the disc you get a completely different set of dialogs, including one that offers to let you pick and choose what is transferred. You can also cancel the process entirely and then access the drive via System Settings, Memory. It shows up as a Transfer Cable device.

Eh, I'm not so sure that  the integrated transfer software can move those console-locked saves. It's intelligent enough not to move game installs. It may not move unmovable saves, either.

The old transfer software (which still works) will wholesale copy an entire HDD to another HDD, then format the old HDD. That software moves EVERYTHING, even things that can't be used after the move, like game installs.

If you tried it and can confirm it works with the integrated transfer software, great.

[/quote]

I am not sure about being offline. But online the old software doesn't work. If you put the disc in and attempt to launch it it just takes you to the new built in software. And it acts just the same. It moves ALL files and purges the old HDD. It is exactly the same you just do not need the disc and old software anymore. This is using the cable though. Because it is determined by detecting the cable. This is how it is different then attempting to manually move files over on a USB stick etc.

Xbox support has CONFIRMED A NEW TRANSFER KIT to be released on the 20th of Sept in all major retail stores or by calling them directly for 19.99USD.

Eh, I'm not so sure that  the integrated transfer software can move those console-locked saves. It's intelligent enough not to move game installs. It may not move unmovable saves, either.

The old transfer software (which still works) will wholesale copy an entire HDD to another HDD, then format the old HDD. That software moves EVERYTHING, even things that can't be used after the move, like game installs.

If you tried it and can confirm it works with the integrated transfer software, great.

[quote user="LostKauz"]If I can ask. Why doesn't anyone just use a USB Flash Drive to Transfer their Game Save File Data and simply DL all their Content again from the Marketplace?[/quote]Believe it or not, there are people with 98GB of DLC on their HDDs. On Comcast, that's 40% of a person's monthly download cap. And let's not get started about the pittiful limits the Aussies have...