Transfer Cable does not recognize old HDD

Here is the deal...

Old xbox cant play disc anymore, so we get a new slim xbox.  I use gamertag recovery to pull my gamertag onto the slim.  Got the latest dashboard update (no choice really), I also took the time to transfer licence of my games to the slim.  Not an issue there, everything worked so far.  All I need now is my old saved game data... 

I finally get the transfer cable in the mail.  Used it and the slim doesnt recognize the old HDD, says it is a USB storage device and wants to format it.  I said no.  From the info I have read elsewhere on this forum, I have determined that I have a Microsoft Transfer Cable and not a third party knock-off (Grey thing with word MICROSOFT imprinted on one side with "Xbox 360 TM" on the sticker on the other side).  Worried that I lost the data, I reconnected the old xbox up and turned it on.  All data is still there.

My question is...  Now What???  I dont want to transfer stuff via USB storage since I have a bunch of stuff to transfer over, Is there anything I am missing with this transfer device before I try to get a refund on it?  Or should I contact Microsoft about the possibility of a defective transfer cable and see if they can send me a new one.

Thanks in advance for any answers or insights.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 12 Applies to:

If the transfer cable isn't working, you can also use a USB flash drive, as long as it's at least 1GB in size and a maximum of 16GB.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The only thing left to transfer over is game save data correct? It might be easier and faster to move it over via a USB flash drive than it would be to wait for MS to send you a new cable.

How are you connecting the old hard drive to the 360s? http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/Transfer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.