Trading in at HMV

Evening all.

-

I fancy grabbing a copy of Max Payne at the weekend but don't want to fork over any cash for it so was wondering what HMV's trade-in prices are like as I've got a few recent-ish games to get rid of?

-

I have their Android app which gives me the trade-in values when I scan my games but they seem a bit too good to be true so was also wondering if they honour the values given by the app in store as a couple of the app reviews say that staff have refused to honour them.

-

If anybody has used HMV for trading in and, in particular, traded in there after using their app could you please let me know if you had any difficulties and if their trade in values were any good.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Ive used HMV for trading in the past and they are quite good, all depends what/when the deals are on :-) I used HMV other than going Gamestation/GAME!

Nice one.

-

I suppose that if they don't give me the prices quoted on the app I could always see if Game will match them.

Good luck mate ! If HMV dont give you what the app says then try CEX...

Like most places, HMV are very hit and miss with regards to trade-in prices offered.....they're normally decent with new releases though, but I say 'normally' very loosely.

----

I saw an advert for Blockbusters today saying they're offering an extra 50% trade-in value for games traded against Max Payne 3. Again, hit and miss prices and I wouldn't be surprised if their trade prices dramatically drop to cover themselves. I can't help being cynical these days.

----

Good luck on getting the best deal though, OP.

Thanks.

-

According to the HMV app is should get £20 for Catherine and £25 for MGS HD Collection which would be enough for Max Payne but a few people have said that when they've gone in to the store expecting the values the app has given them they've been offered less.

I thought the app was there for a reason - to give you a correct, proper and up-to-date value of your game. Not a ball park figure for them to move the goalposts as and when it suits.

---

Check the trade-in price on the day to be sure, not the night before. I've had games devalue by £8 overnight....proper kick in the plums lol!

---

Don't let the store manager bully you into believing what s/he says is right - managers don't make the prices up, I imagine Head Office does and they update the app accordingly.

I'll check and make a note of the values on Saturday morning then if they offer me any lower I'll scan the barcodes and show them the values their app is giving.

[quote user="MA71LDA"]

I saw an advert for Blockbusters today saying they're offering an extra 50% trade-in value for games traded against Max Payne 3. Again, hit and miss prices and I wouldn't be surprised if their trade prices dramatically drop to cover themselves. I can't help being cynical these days.

[/quote]I wouldn't either seeing as they offer £25 for most newer releases, with 50% extra that would be £37.50 making it almost a straight swap.

To the OP: It might be worth checking out Game/Gamestation for their trade in prices as well if you can, even after the extra £10 offer they still have a few ridiculously high trade in prices for games at the moment and you might get enough with those two games. I haven't got a local HMV so I have no idea about them but I've heard the app isn't always accurate.

I tried trading in Dungeon Siege earlier HMV would only give me £2 for it :(

I personally find HMV the best for trade ins ( Like someone else said ) on the newer titles!

My son recently took down a copy of Sniper Elite V2 and they gave him £35 for it which was actually more than what he paid for a new copy :)

I personally would see what they offer before anyone else, good luck!