To Console Or Not?

In light of the recent 'Disney closes Lucasarts" thing, I read a line in one article that grabbed my attention: "Disney cut about 200 people at its Disney Interactive video game last year, as the company moved away from console games to focus on online and mobile entertainment. An additional 100 staffers have been laid off in two cuts since." So how much longer will it be before consoles completely vanish to be replaced with online and mobile entertainment?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Not for another decade or two. The mobile platform currently sucks. Half the time I can't see what I'm doing because my big old thumb I'm using to play the game is in the way.

If you're not very good at making games for consoles, then it makes sense to focus on a different platform.

So, Disney closes LucasArts, and you think consoles are going to die? Huh?

...Don't get me wrong, console gaming is in a rough spot. If anything, online passes, homogenizing game genres (making most games feel like bad COD clones), and bloated development budgets are going to be the cause of the next console crash. Not the closing of LucasArts.

[quote user="BlackSilverAce"]

...Don't get me wrong, console gaming is in a rough spot. If anything, online passes, homogenizing game genres (making most games feel like bad COD clones), and bloated development budgets are going to be the cause of the next console crash. Not the closing of LucasArts.

[/quote]

This.  A thousand times this.  As it is I already spend more time on my PC because of this craptastic year of game releases that shows no signs of improving.  Many of my friends jumped ship long before I did.  

I don't ever see it taking over consoles and PC gaming.

Theres just something about playing on an ipad or small phone that doesn't seem right.  I like playing on a 32 inch HDTV.

Well, IC, I tend to agree.  But this quote isn't the first one I've seen.  There have been others in other gaming sites that some clearly believe the next-gen will be the last-gen.

it won't be saying consoles will die is like saying PC games will die.

It is not just like saying PC gaming will die. Consoles are locked and limited, PCs are customizable. One is adaptable the other is not. If prices keep going up and people keep getting fed up with the greedy practices there will be very little reason to keep getting consoles.

Nah. Consoles will stay around in some form or another.  People don't want to screw around with files and upgrades everytime a new game comes out.