Timesplitters developer says shooters don’t make money

I found this article earlier:

Free Radical co-founder Steve Ellis feels there’s no room in the shooter market for anything but Battlefield and Call of Duty.

Ellis, who was an integral part of Goldeneye 64′s development before going on to help found the Timesplitters developer, said other shooters just can’t compete.

“Nobody really buys any FPSes unless they’re called Call Of Duty,” he told Edge.

“I guess Battlefield did okay, but aside from that pretty much every FPS loses money.”

Ellis said Crysis 2, for example, came nowhere near recovering its development costs, and as such, publishers aren’t interested in backing shooters.

“I spent the whole of 2008 going round talking to publishers trying to sign up Timesplitters 4,” he said.

“There just isn’t the interest there in doing anything that tries to step away from the rules of the genre – no one wants to do something that’s quirky and different, because it’s too much of a risk. And a large part of that is the cost of doing it.”

When Timesplitters 4 failed to secure a publisher, a floundering Free Radical was purchased by Crytek. Ellis has since left the company to form mobile studio Crash Lab.

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/03/timesplitters-developer-says-shooters-dont-make-money/

I think it kinda sucks that this has happened, because i would love to see some different shooters like TS4.  But it seems that COD has sort of dominated the market so much that nobody can compete with it, and we obviously seen this, pretty much every new shooter that comes out loses popularity and everyone returns back to COD.  And with yearly new releases, even though they remain almost the exact same game, people seem to always buy them.

I think alot of player also would like to see some new stuff though.  So here's my question, do you want a new COD-like game or something new like TS4?

Personally i'd take TS4 any day over COD. 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

the title should be, shooters dont make money compared to call of duty and to a less extent BF. but yeah he has a point, thats why i love the bioshock series, as a single player fps it is miles better than any cod game !

I just took the title from the article.

Any game will sell if its good enough, its the advertising that lets some games down like blur for instance.

[quote user="Alchemist Don"]

Any game will sell if its good enough, its the advertising that lets some games down like blur for instance.

[/quote]This is not true and a very naive point of view there are plenty of good games that dont/didn't sell well.

or the time its release so it gets overlooked Enslaved anyone?

Can't sell without a publisher though.

[quote user="the1337gamer"]

Personally i'd take TS4 any day over COD. 

[/quote]

You and me both, playing as shrunken monkeys and kalamari = xD

I would totally buy TS2 and Future Perfect if they re-released them on 360 or put them on XBLA.  I think i'd even buy a PS3 if they put them on PSN, or made PS3's backwards compatible.

Flame tag FTW

Flame Tag was great, shame they didn't put it in Future Perfect.