Time sensitive achievements - against terms? - Batman: AC

There is a massive debate going on right now online, regarding the Storyteller achievement for Batman Arkham City. The achievement requires you to speak to a character in the game on specific dates through the year (12 separate days - one a month). IGN and a few other places have posted that you can alter your 360 clock offline, and visit the in game character on these dates, and instead of waiting a year, you can have the achievement in less than an hour.

This all sounds cool and funky, but the problem is, there are many rumors going round that people have been reset, and banned for doing this. I wanted to ask here so maybe a moderator officer or someone with know can give an official stand on this. Is it classed as tempering / modifying your console to gain achievements? As in the terms of service it says nothing about this, it does say that people will be penalised for specific things like opening or modding your console. But nothing regarding changing your dashboard time to get an achievement faster.

Being a huge supporter of all things XBOX, I know it may seem a little goody goody, but I want to keep within the rules of service. I know most people will just go ahead and do it, but I kinda would like to know if it is alright to do or not.

Thanks in advance for any replies

II Reaper II

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Although I do not have any information specific to this case, the Code of Conduct mentions:

Don't cheat in a game unless cheats have been deliberately enabled.

Don't modify or hack game content to create cheats.

Don’t make unauthorized modifications to your account profile or its contents.

I think it is against the spirit of the achievement to modify the game clock, and as such, violates the first rule by means of the third; to be safe, I'd not do this. :)  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Although my posts do not have as much weight as Miss Portia, I am going to second her post and say this was the exact way that I would interpret the rules.  The achievement states that you must have "12 murderous dates with Calendar Man."  When you visit him he suggests that they must be done on separate days.  How are you doing so by changing the date on your xbox and then visiting him within an hour?  Lastly, the fact that you have to do this offline to trigger the objective leads me to believe that it breaks the first rule.  

My litmus test for testing whether or not something should be done is that I can freely do said action while connected to XBox live.  If I have even the slightest doubt as to whether or not it should be done over XBox live I do not do such action.

Just my 2 cents.  Good luck and good gaming!

Sorry this didn't help.

As a counter I'd point to the many people who did a variation of this trick to amass a ton of money in Fable 2 and unlock a few achievements a bit quicker as a result but who weren't reset.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="ChaosX217"]You'll be fine. You aren't doing anything wrong[/quote]Neither of those statements is definitive.

While you're not using a prohibited tool to obtain the achivement, you are manipulating the console to generate an achivement intended to be obtained only after a year.[quote]Just because you have to go offline to do it doesn't make it a big NO NO.[/quote]The thing that makes it a "NO NO" is that you're manipulating the console (cheating) to obtain an achivement.[quote]There's a lot of people who don't go online with their 360.[/quote]If you're not advertising your gamerscore to the world, then it doesn't matter what you do.

Sorry this didn't help.

There's nothing in the Code of Conduct or Terms of Use stating that you're not allowed to change your date and time while offline. To me this is like getting all the achievements in Fallout 3 on PC. In Fallout 3 for PC you can go into console and type a few words and unlock all achievements. This yes is cheating, but its also a cheat that's enabled in the game. You aren't using third party tools or application to unlock these achievements, you're using a legitimate way to obtaining an achievement that would other wise take a year to do. Also I don't think big website like IGN would tell everyone how to get this by changing the date if it wasn't allowed and Microsoft by now should of released some kind of statement stating this isn't allowed if it isn't.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="ChaosX217"]There's nothing in the Code of Conduct or Terms of Use stating that you're not allowed to change your date and time while offline.[/quote]There's nothing in the Terms of Use, you mean?

It's called the spirit of the law. Look it up, unless you like being a mechanic.[quote]This yes is cheating, but its also a cheat that's enabled in the game.[/quote]In-game cheats provided by the developers are explicitly allowed.[quote]You aren't using third party tools or application to unlock these achievements, you're using a legitimate way to obtaining an achievement that would other wise take a year to do.[/quote]You're violating the spirit of the achivement. It's a grey area.[quote]Also I don't think big website like IGN would tell everyone how to get this by changing the date if it wasn't allowed[/quote]PC World has an article about how to roll your own 360 HDD. That doesn't make it acceptable under the Terms of Use.[quote]and Microsoft by now should of released some kind of statement stating this isn't allowed if it isn't.[/quote]Miss Portia had a post in this very thread stating it was not considered an exploit. That post is now missing...

Sorry this didn't help.

Don't sweat it buddy. I can think of a number of games including Brothers in Arms Hell's highway, which has an achievement for playing the game on 100 separate days. Changing your clock did not get anyone reset and thus has been acceptable in the past.  Also the PC version of Fallout 3 has a trick where you can simply bring up the command panel and type in ‘add achievemnte01’ and so on until all 75 odd are unlocked. So far again I haven’t seen anyone reset for this.

Unless Microsoft has changed the ruling in the last few days it as allowed. As for those who believe it is against the spirit, well it’s up to your personal preference on whether you want to get it today or in 11 months’ time.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ice Storm III - You are quick! I did originally post on erroneous information, and it was deleted as soon as I got the correct info, less than an hour later. That was my mistake. The official stance is similar to my original observation: Any manner of achievement cheating has the potential to be corrected. Cheating in any form is not condoned on Xbox LIVE. 

Sorry this didn't help.