Third replacement Xbox One, failed within 4hrs!!!

Okay, something seriously isn't right here.

I now have two faulty Xbox One consoles sitting in my house.  The first is boxed up ready to be shipped back, the second is also useless as it now does not boot past the initial Xbox logo, it just goes to a black screen and stays there.  

The other console would constantly crash while playing games.  Games would just lock up and freeze, no errors, nothing.  The only thing to do was restart the machine, only for the same thing to happen again not longer after a reboot.  So I called support and got this 'replacement' machine.

The 'replacement' worked for a few hours - well I didn't actually play anything I was downloading and installing some of my games.  After installing was finished I tried to play RYSE.  The title screen came up, got the 'continue' screen, pressed A to begin loading.  About 20 seconds into the loading, the game crashed.  I went back to the dashboard, quite the game and tried going to another application.  That application also crashed and preceded to lock up the machine.  Which is exactly the same problem I had before with the other console.  Everything was frozen, so my only recourse was to turn off the machine by holding down the power button.

Now this console is even more broken than the last one.  As I said, It now only shows the initial Xbox logo, goes black and stops there. 

What the heck is going on??  How many consoles will it take before I get a working machine???

Things I've tried:

Powering off the machine and leaving it unplugged for about 30 mins. No change when powering on.
Attempted to reset the display settings.  The console now does the initial boot in 640x480 but does not get any further. 

What to do now?

I won't complain massively.  This console was sent to Microsoft to me for free.  However, I am considering selling a further replacement and going to PS4 if they too do not work.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

It sounds like it may be a power issue.  I wouldn't have honestly thought of that myself if I hadn't of run into it myself when trouble shooting my machine.  Do you currently have it plugged into a power strip or into a wall outlet directly?  Plugging it into a power strip can cause draw issues that can cause the system to act kind of wonky.

If you have it plugged into a power strip, try unplugging it from it and the xbox both, then plug it into a wall outlet directly and then into the xbox.  If the light goes from amber to white and stays white for a few secs and then goes to amber again, it should be good to go.  Try booting your machine up again and see if it worked.

Let me know how that works out for you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi

The console has always been connected directly to the mains.  I have powered it up again this morning after leaving it unplugged overnight and it still the same as before, it will not go past the black screen.

Looks like a call to support again.  I don't think I will be keeping it though. Microsoft have well and truly failed me with this.

Sorry this didn't help.

Update.

Been in contact with support.  Tried to do the manual update but no joy.  The instructions of how to do said update are not clear either.  I formatted the flash drive to NTFS as instructed, but the actual update won't happen from the flash drive. 

The instructions are very poorly done on this link.  It does not say whether the unzipped individual files need to go to the root directory on their own or if the update folder goes to the root directory.  Secondly, the manual update instructions of holding BIND, EJECT and power button is not only unclear, it is in fact quite complicated to carry out in practice.

So as it stands this replacement console is now bricked and won't boot.  I'll have to wait until the other console is confirmed to be received at the MS service centre before I send this one off as another advanced exchange.

I will say though that despite all of this, Xbox Support in the UK is still rather good.  There has never been a wait time on the phone and the support people have been informative, polite and helpful in their own way.  I kind of feel sorry for the chap I was speaking to, having to deal with my issue.  He was a lovely friendly Irish fella.  We got into talking about gaming computers during our telephone call and other stuff. we couldn't get it to work, but he did try his best, I'll give him that.

I'm now 'on the fence' as to what I will do when I finally get a working replacement.  I really hate to say it, being a keen MS supporter since 2005, but it looks more likely that my next gen machine may well be a PS4.  Sorry guys.  Although I will be keeping my Xbox 360.  That machine is now very reliable.  I'm pretty flabbergasted as to why this supposedly 'next gen system' has so many issues, and does not indicate to the user what the problem is, no error codes or error messages to look up.  A very poorly designed operating system that wasn't, and still isn't ready seven months after release day!

I'll probably buy one again eventually when they've fixed all the bugs and have a finished product.

Sorry this didn't help.

If you double left click on the update file you download you should see a folder name $SystemUpdate, that folder alone should be extracted to the USB flash drive, the sequence of pressing and holding Bind and Eject then pressing the Xbox button on the console until your hear the second tone can take a few tries to get just right.

Don't hold the xbox button just keep bind and eject held, press the xbox button and let go of bind and eject as soon as you hear the second tone.

You haven't had much luck at all by the looks of it with your Xbox One.

Bananas !!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried extracting the $systemupdate folder so that it sits in the root of a newly NTFS formatted Flash drive, and I have just a attempted multiple times with the BIND, EJECT then power, no difference.

I appreciate your assistance though.

Since yesterday and today, this machine has been turned on and off well over 20 times.  That alone has probably caused even more damage.  No, it safe to say this console just isn't worth the hassle. 

When the new working replacement eventually gets ordered, it will be tested to see that it comes on and then traded in towards a PS4.  This isn't a 'I hate MS' rant or anything, its simply not worth my time money and patience at the moment. I've already lost over £100 on two downloaded games. I'm not prepared to lose even more money.

This is a difficult one too.  Since the machine was free, I can't send it back to the store for a replacement, my only recourse is too keep calling support.  If I had bought it from a UK retail store like Game, I don't think I would be in this situation now.

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you also try the OSUDT2 file rather than the OSUTD1 file. I'm not sure where you were update wise but if you're using the wrong update file the console won't detect a newer update.

Of little consolation is the fact that my day one edition xbox one hasn't given me any problems so far.

No doubt it will blow up when I next power it on having said that :)

Bananas !!

Sorry this didn't help.

It was the USUTD2, however my machine was also in the preview update programme which may also explain way the update on flash drive didn't work.

Sorry this didn't help.