Third brand new xbox I've bought today, still freezing?

I had an older Xbox 360 elite that started to cause me some grief lately, I couldn't seem to get it fixed and finally just decided I was going to buy a new Xbox. Went to Best Buy today and picked up the 4GB one because I was just going to put my old Hard Drive in it to get all my stuff back. Too bad the second I plugged it in and turned it on it froze. Returned it and got another one, same thing. Finally I said screw it and paid the extra $100 for the 250GB Elite, brand new out of the box I hook everything up, I have to download an Xbox Live update, so I do. Now every time I turn the console on it doesn't matter what I am doing it will run fine for about 10-15 minutes and then just freeze. It is brand new, at first I thought maybe it was just a faulty product, after the second one I was getting a little frustrated, but now I'm out $300 and don't even have a functioning console. Anyone else have anything happen like this? I've tried everything I could think of on my end, I thought maybe the power supply wasn't getting enough power but the light stays green the entire time. I tried plugging them into different outlets, I thought maybe there was something with my HDMI cable so I tried just hooking it up straight to my TV with components, I even plugged my roommates 360 into my setup in my room and it works fine. Is this just a terrible coincidence? Three in a row seems a little unlikely to me. My old Xbox ran fine for years, but started freezing up a lot and looked like it was on its way to the RROD, but now I can't even buy a brand new product and turn it on for more than 15 minutes?

Oh and my TV is a month old, have a home theater system that is just over a year old and everything else hooked up to it works fine so there is nothing wrong with my setup. Anyone have any suggestions? I was really hoping to not have to go back to Best Buy yet again when they open tomorrow morning, because this time I will most likely be getting a refund and not another Xbox, which sucks because I use my Xbox a lot, but I have no idea where to go from here.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Bring the issue up in the support forums:

forums.xbox.com/.../default.aspx

and there may be people with troubleshooting tips and advice that may help figure out what the problem is.

Also, modifying a non-slim model HDD to fit into a slim is an offense that can result in a ban, just to let you know.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You won't get any help in the support forums for this kind of trouble. You tried everything possible really. Bring it back and try another one. Bad coincidence for sure but it's the only option you have. It will be quicker for you to get another one than waiting for a miracle answer in this forum.

Sorry this didn't help.

I didn't modify a non slim HDD, the hard drive that came out of my old Xbox is a slim. Sorry for the confusion, but thanks for the suggestions.

Sorry this didn't help.

And don't listen to what Briochewarios says there. The support forums are there to help. People aren't perfect, and there wont be anyone with power to fix something for you, but they can help figure out the issue. If it keeps happening, even with new consoles, then there's obviously a root to it all somewhere.

As for the drives, you said you had an Elite, which is the name of the last pre-slim model.

Sorry this didn't help.

The support forums are there to help? Sure. But be realistic. The chances that someone will find a solution are slim to none. Most of the answers there are copy paste rehash of  the same old  problems. I know you won't agree because of your status but in your mind you know it's true. To the OP. Go to the store where you bought it, have them give you your money back and go buy another one at a different store just in case that they had a very bad batch. This is as good as an answer as you will get in the support forum and you don't have to wait a week to get it.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="reno111"]

I had an older Xbox 360 elite that started to cause me some grief lately, I couldn't seem to get it fixed and finally just decided I was going to buy a new Xbox. Went to Best Buy today and picked up the 4GB one because I was just going to put my old Hard Drive in it to get all my stuff back. Too bad the second I plugged it in and turned it on it froze. Returned it and got another one, same thing. Finally I said screw it and paid the extra $100 for the 250GB Elite, brand new out of the box I hook everything up, I have to download an Xbox Live update, so I do. Now every time I turn the console on it doesn't matter what I am doing it will run fine for about 10-15 minutes and then just freeze. It is brand new, at first I thought maybe it was just a faulty product, after the second one I was getting a little frustrated, but now I'm out $300 and don't even have a functioning console. Anyone else have anything happen like this? I've tried everything I could think of on my end, I thought maybe the power supply wasn't getting enough power but the light stays green the entire time. I tried plugging them into different outlets, I thought maybe there was something with my HDMI cable so I tried just hooking it up straight to my TV with components, I even plugged my roommates 360 into my setup in my room and it works fine. Is this just a terrible coincidence? Three in a row seems a little unlikely to me. My old Xbox ran fine for years, but started freezing up a lot and looked like it was on its way to the RROD, but now I can't even buy a brand new product and turn it on for more than 15 minutes?

Oh and my TV is a month old, have a home theater system that is just over a year old and everything else hooked up to it works fine so there is nothing wrong with my setup. Anyone have any suggestions? I was really hoping to not have to go back to Best Buy yet again when they open tomorrow morning, because this time I will most likely be getting a refund and not another Xbox, which sucks because I use my Xbox a lot, but I have no idea where to go from here.

[/quote]

A few things I can suggest, which shouldn't take long to test:

- If you haven't already, try different games in case there's an issue with a specific game disc your using.

- Clear your system's Cache by following the instructions here.

- Remove your HDD and try playing without one.  If your console no longer freezes up, your HDD may be faulty.

- Create a new Xbox LIVE Free profile and play with it for a bit.  If your console does not freeze, the issue might be with your profile itself.

- If all of the above doesn't work, then I'd take the console back and get a refund, and purchase at another store as Brioch suggested.

Good luck!

--
Juxtapose13

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Juxtapose13"]

A few things I can suggest, which shouldn't take long to test:

- If you haven't already, try different games in case there's an issue with a specific game disc your using.

- Clear your system's Cache by following the instructions here.

- Remove your HDD and try playing without one.  If your console no longer freezes up, your HDD may be faulty.

- Create a new Xbox LIVE Free profile and play with it for a bit.  If your console does not freeze, the issue might be with your profile itself.

- If all of the above doesn't work, then I'd take the console back and get a refund, and purchase at another store as Brioch suggested.

Good luck!

[/quote]These are good suggestions. My guess is that the HDD is the problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

My system has been doing the same thing for a week last month, and here's what I did to get past it. I made sure I used a wired internet connection with a short cable (under 10 feet long), and made sure my connections were tight on. but if you get sketchy internet while using a gold account it can literally freeze/lock you up. I'm betting they play perfectly without the internet connection.

you can also try to free up some space on the HDD too. they seem to work optimal when they have at least 45% free space.  anything more than that and they can sometimes lock up and either hang the system or freeze entirely which requires a hard reboot (unplugging the power source)

Sorry this didn't help.

is it plugged into a power bar/surge protector ?  If it is, try plugging it directly into a wall outlet... I had horrible freezing issues with mine when I was (at the time) using a power bar.... Plugging it directly into a wall outlet fixed everything for me.

Sorry this didn't help.

I see your problem.....you bought a 360....

Sorry this didn't help.