Thinking of getting an XBOX 360 but need some advice on what to get

I'm fed up with pc gaming and all the problems that come with it so i'm considering an  XBOX but i know next to nothing about them, i want to be able to play online but I'm not really sure how that works. And I'm not sure which system to get (newegg has like 9 versions). I know the slim ones are supposedly more stable and less likely to RROD but did MS really fix that RROD issue or is it still a major issue? with that said what is the best setup for me?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="DIEHELLHOUND"]

I'm fed up with pc gaming and all the problems that come with it so i'm considering an  XBOX but i know next to nothing about them, i want to be able to play online but I'm not really sure how that works. And I'm not sure which system to get (newegg has like 9 versions). I know the slim ones are supposedly more stable and less likely to RROD but did MS really fix that RROD issue or is it still a major issue? with that said what is the best setup for me?

[/quote]Your best bet is the Slim Xbox 360 w/ 250 GB HDD. RROD is not an issue. Go for the Kinect-less unit.

I would say get try and get a slim with the 320gb HDD. Ive had my fair share of RRoD in the original console (fatty) I had ten of those consoles within my 1st year. However I have never had any issues with a slim console. Installing the games to you hard drive will make your console whisper silent. For online play you will need to purchase an xbox live subscription. A few games I recommend are Oblivion/Skyrim. Either bioshocks and of course Fallout 3 and new vegas

by kinect-less you mean the box without the kinect thing right? i never intended on getting the kinect thing it looks lame to me and my room is very small.

0.0 10 consoles? wow. So the slim one (one with 92MM fan on the side ) has no RROD? if so i'll get it.

this is the only 320Gig model newegg has and to be honest i don't like the R2D2 design it just looks awful. but i wa slooking at this one but its only 250Gig www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx it even comes with halo reach (suposed to be good)

i got a long list of games i'm getting lol

Halo 3

Crysis 2

Dead space 1 and 2

Halo Aniversery

Valve orange box (i love half life series)

sims 3 pets

Bioshock 1 (i didnt like 2)

GTA IV (duh! lol)

Resident Evil 5 (loved it on PC)

pre-order Resident evil 6

Lost planet 1

and finally Call of Duty MW3

but i do have a question i own the original Halo 1 and 2 for xbox 1 will they work on the 250GB because i tred it on my friends 4GB one and it said something about missing something that is required for original xbox games.

[quote user="DIEHELLHOUND"]

0.0 10 consoles? wow. So the slim one (one with 92MM fan on the side ) has no RROD? if so i'll get it.

this is the only 320Gig model newegg has and to be honest i don't like the R2D2 design it just looks awful. but i wa slooking at this one but its only 250Gig www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx it even comes with halo reach (suposed to be good)

i got a long list of games i'm getting lol

Halo 3

Crysis 2

Dead space 1 and 2

Halo Aniversery

Valve orange box (i love half life series)

sims 3 pets

Bioshock 1 (i didnt like 2)

GTA IV (duh! lol)

Resident Evil 5 (loved it on PC)

pre-order Resident evil 6

Lost planet 1

and finally Call of Duty MW3

but i do have a question i own the original Halo 1 and 2 for xbox 1 will they work on the 250GB because i tred it on my friends 4GB one and it said something about missing something that is required for original xbox games.

[/quote]You need a HDD for the old Xbox games to work, which explains why it didn't work for the 4GB unit. Also, both Halo 1 and 2 both work on the Xbox 360.

Kinect isn't for everyone, and it sounds like you wouldn't like it. So get the one that doesn't have Kinect on the box. Go with the 250GB model with Halo Reach. That's a pretty good game.

hmm okay i'll get the 250 gig with reach then. hopefully it will be smooth going.

After you purchase your console I recommend buying Minecraft.  I know you said you had been doing pc gaming prior but this game is pretty enjoyable to play on the 360. I didn't think so at first then found myself building things for hours on end! Welcome to the xbox live community.  

Yes welcome, & yes, MINECRAFT....don't expect 64 gamer Multi-Player on shooters like BF3 tho....only PC's support that level of MP still.

Look for advertised deals @ places like BEST BUY.

I purchased last two consoles there for $250 ea. (250gig) + ea. w/ it's own $75 gift card and Halo Reach, Fable III and 3 month LIVE cards ^_^

No warranties PAID, but ea. console registered w/ MS. One had some slightly above avg. freezing/glitching or lag, so returned for new console, ALL costs PAID by MS and took 3 weeks total. Company stands by products IMO.

A warranty @ BEST BUY is $60 ea. 2-yr increment if remember correctly - I no longer purchase them tho.

I once had original white console w/ RROD and was also replaced w/ new console completely for free.

Have Fun!

[quote user="Geckosaurus"]

Yes welcome, & yes, MINECRAFT....don't expect 64 gamer Multi-Player on shooters like BF3 tho....only PC's support that level of MP still.

[/quote]

MAG on the PS3 supports 256 online players.

MAG is.......? I dont play PS3. Is that a shooter or RPG ?

256 players online on screen at same time.....? That would be impressive!