Think someone may have gained access onto your Microsoft account, or had a random Security Challenge while trying to sign in. I may have a answer before you panic

Hey there

I love helping out on both, Xbox Forums and in the Microsoft Forums, and see this question pop up now and again. Which is why I thought to pass the news on. I will cover,

1. The New Feature on Account.live.com
  2. What to do if you see that someone has actually signed into your account
  3. What you should do if you had to go through a random security challenge when signing in.

The New Feature on Account.live.com

Microsoft have introduced a new feature on http://Account.live.com, which is the Recent Activity Tab. This tab allows you to see all of the times you, or someone else has signed in/ or attempted to sign into your Microsoft Account. It also has many other activity descriptions such as, what you was doing on your account like,

1. Updating or removing payment options
  2. Changing your Address
  3. Adding or removing security options and numbers
  4. Account was created
  5. Deleting the Authenticator Application
  6. Adding a Recovery Code
  7. Password Change
  8. Aliases added or removed
  9. Two step Verification Turned on and off for your account
  10. and many more

As you can see from above, this could be your one stop to have your questions answered whether someone is accessing your account, or not.

What to do if you see that someone has actually signed into your account

Once you see an IP or a time in which you didn't sign into your account, you can simply click on it, and then you should see the 'That Wasn't me' button. Once you click onto this button, it will show you a list or a step by step instruction on what you can do to protect your account. Such as Change your Password, update security information on your account, and many more.

If you have any further problems, you should always ring Xbox Support or contact Microsoft on stage 5 of the Article. There you will be able to email them and get your account issues sorted. =D

What you should do if you had to go through a random security challenge when signing in.

Well, if you have been at a friends house and you have tried signing into your account. If the system is detecting that someone may be hacking your account. The system will request a Security Challenge for your account. If this happens, all you need to do is complete it. Then,

1. Head over to Account.live.com
  2. Click onto Recent Activity
  3. Sign in again [If it Asks]
  4. Enter security Proofs [If it asks]
  5. Then click on the time you had logged onto your account from your new location 
  6. click 'That was me' button

Then the account and the system will take note that you will most likely be signing into your account from that location in the future, and will not give you a security Challenge. So you will be all set

I hope this helps you all, as it does me.

Thanks for reading and may you keep safe =D

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 369 Applies to: